BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I pulled into the driveway tonight the car suddenly started to misfire so badly it could hardly make it up the drive but it suddenly died before I could get it into the garage. The message "Trans failsafe prog" appeared and then smoke poured out of the hood on the passenger side. The smoke smelled electrical in nature. The car will not start, the starter motor is not doing anything and when I crawled under the car and shorted accross the starter soilnoid with a screwdriver the starter engaged and spun the motor but would not start because there was no fire at the plugs. Further investigation reveals the burned electrical smell is more prevelant on the passenger side of the motor, particularly around where the injectors plug in. Now my provocative question is this, if the ignition shorted out and killed the engine, why the hell did the Trans Failsafe Prog. message come on? Are they interconnected or did two things happen at the same time? Anyone have this happen before?
2001 540 I Premium Sport

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.