BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. My 03 325i recently overheated. I opened the engine to find that the main cooling fan was completly destroyed. After taking everything out I found that the bearings were shot in the water pump that I had replaced last November and the play in it caused the fan to hit the engine. So new water pump, new fan housing, new fan clutch, new fan and a new radiator. All was well except for everytime that I started it, it would die immediatly, it took 3-5 times of starting for it to stay running. It had sat for almost 2 months before I got the cooling system fixed, so I just assumed that it was some old fuel. Well a week of driving and about 300 miles and I started it up, and it had a constant uneasy idle. When I tried to put it into gear it would die. It kept jumping between 300 and 750rpms, almost dying everytime. It stayed like this for 10 minutes. I checked the oil, when I pulled the dipstick out, the uneasy idle stopped, but when I put it into gear it would still die. I had cleared the error codes because I had an O2 sensor code on for the last 6,000 miles, and during that week of driving I got, error codes P1085, P0174, P0171, and P1351. I have ordered new plugs, a new fuel filter, and while I am at it, air filter and new oil and oil filter. So in 2 days I will get all of these things into the car. My qeustion is, do you think that this will fix it, and also while I am working on it, I have an oil leak somewhere on the driver side behind the alternator, it leaks about a quart every 4,000 miles (Picture below). I have 106K, so should I try and fix the oil leak, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Also side note, I have had to add about 3 liters of water and coolant to it since I put it all back together. No coolant in the oil and there are no visible signs of coolant leaking. And the resovior was replaced last year and both thermostats, so.....

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
Based on the pic the leak looks like it might be the OFHG. Do a search and there is an excellent write up on how to fix it. Good luck.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer

·
Registered
805 Posts
+1. Just did mine yesterday. Took a few hours. Hardest part was figuring out how to get the belt back on. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! That link was perfect. I am going to pull it right now and check. Any ideas on the coolant leak and rough idle. I saw a post about the air thing right behind the dip stick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! That link was perfect. I am going to pull it right now and check. Any ideas on the coolant leak and rough idle. I saw a post about the air thing right behind the dip stick.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Honestly I would worry about the oil filter housing gasket after getting the rough running worked out. Have to look for the leaks. Get the car scanned for codes. and then post back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I was already pulling it apart. The gasket just fell to pieces. You were right. At least the oil leak will be fixed now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found out that my air intake boot was torn in half. Got the new one put on. Still Rough Idle, and even more error code. P1345 P1347 P1343 P1349 P0171 P0174 New fuel filter installed, New plugs installed... What else could it be, and at this point is there an easier/cheaper way to pinpoint the problem?

·
Cogito Ergo Zoom
3,579 Posts
Hey if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. My 03 325i recently overheated. I opened the engine to find that the main cooling fan was completly destroyed. After taking everything out I found that the bearings were shot in the water pump that I had replaced last November and the play in it caused the fan to hit the engine. So new water pump, new fan housing, new fan clutch, new fan and a new radiator. All was well except for everytime that I started it, it would die immediatly, it took 3-5 times of starting for it to stay running. It had sat for almost 2 months before I got the cooling system fixed, so I just assumed that it was some old fuel. Well a week of driving and about 300 miles and I started it up, and it had a constant uneasy idle. When I tried to put it into gear it would die. It kept jumping between 300 and 750rpms, almost dying everytime. It stayed like this for 10 minutes. I checked the oil, when I pulled the dipstick out, the uneasy idle stopped, but when I put it into gear it would still die. I had cleared the error codes because I had an O2 sensor code on for the last 6,000 miles, and during that week of driving I got, error codes P1085, P0174, P0171, and P1351. I have ordered new plugs, a new fuel filter, and while I am at it, air filter and new oil and oil filter. So in 2 days I will get all of these things into the car. My qeustion is, do you think that this will fix it, and also while I am working on it, I have an oil leak somewhere on the driver side behind the alternator, it leaks about a quart every 4,000 miles (Picture below). I have 106K, so should I try and fix the oil leak, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Also side note, I have had to add about 3 liters of water and coolant to it since I put it all back together. No coolant in the oil and there are no visible signs of coolant leaking. And the resovior was replaced last year and both thermostats, so.....
Isn't this a symptom of a bad CCV ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts