BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
no go to the local auto parts store and get a replacement bolt. i had the same thing happen to me. i got a bolt and a couple of washers. looking at the motor, i took out the stud/nut, at the top of the head, next to the rad. put that part where i snapped the other stud, and put the replacement bolt in the place where it took the other off.

·
Russ
170 Posts
Wow, sure nough, you had a little leak in there huh? How does that part break off? Were you just removing the cap nut and it busted off with it? Curious if you painted or powder coated your VC's while they were off.

·
BMW CCA 415154
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no go to the local auto parts store and get a replacement bolt. i had the same thing happen to me. i got a bolt and a couple of washers. looking at the motor, i took out the stud/nut, at the top of the head, next to the rad. put that part where i snapped the other stud, and put the replacement bolt in the place where it took the other off.
Thanks for your help. Do you know the size of the bolt? I need to pick one up before I rip open the engine.

·
BMW CCA 415154
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, sure nough, you had a little leak in there huh? How does that part break off? Were you just removing the cap nut and it busted off with it? Curious if you painted or powder coated your VC's while they were off.
I had a leak & replaced the gaskets many months ago. However, I'm still getting misfire codes & a little bit of oil seepage into the spark plug wells. I was going to replace the plugs yesterday but figured I would torque the cap nuts to spec instead, in case that was the culprit. I overtightened one of the cap nuts & it broke off along with the piece that goes into it from the engine.

I wasn't able to remove the plugs either. I think they've been in there for a while & didn't want to force them anymore than I was because another problem is the last thing I need at this point.

·
Russ
170 Posts
I wasn't able to remove the plugs either. I think they've been in there for a while & didn't want to force them anymore than I was because another problem is the last thing I need at this point.
I hope for your sake whoever changed them last didn't forget to put a little anti-seize on them.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
I had a leak & replaced the gaskets many months ago. However, I'm still getting misfire codes & a little bit of oil seepage into the spark plug wells. I was going to replace the plugs yesterday but figured I would torque the cap nuts to spec instead, in case that was the culprit. I overtightened one of the cap nuts & it broke off along with the piece that goes into it from the engine.

can't remeber what size but i took out the broke stud, and took both peices with me, showed it to the guy at the parts counter, and said i need one this long with the same threads. i think it was a 10mm head size.

·
BMW CCA 415154
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can't remeber what size but i took out the broke stud, and took both peices with me, showed it to the guy at the parts counter, and said i need one this long with the same threads. i think it was a 10mm head size.
thanks for the info!!

any advice on the best way to remove spark plugs that are stuck? i got some pb blaster but am kind of hesitant to spray that into the plug cavities.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
it will be ok to spray pb. any of it that gets in there will burn off. just be carefull gettin those out. i know a freind once broke a plug off.

·
BMW CCA 415154
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it will be ok to spray pb. any of it that gets in there will burn off. just be carefull gettin those out. i know a freind once broke a plug off.
My dealer didn't have the stud but they told me it's probably a M6 x 30 so I went to Home Depot & picked up a screw & cut off the head with a hack saw. It fit perfectly (thank god).

The PB is great!! The plugs came right out. I vacuumed the oil in the plug wells, thoroughly cleaned the coil boots & installed new plugs. However, I'm stilling getting misfire codes on those cylinders --6, 7 & 8 along with catalyst damaging misfire codes on those cylinders. Does this mean it's time to replace the cats?

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
I'm not sure that the misfire would be caused by cats. I suspect your coils may need to be replaced. What spark plugs did you use?

·
BMW CCA 415154
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are you getting any other codes? I had similar problems and it turned out to be frayed o2 sensor wires.

good luck!
Those are the only codes that I've been getting. The CEL comes on during brisk acceleration (& WOT) from 4k rpm on up & blinks. The car is not smooth & shakes until you turn it off. When you turn it back on, the shakes are gone but the CEL is solid.

·
BMW CCA 415154
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure that the misfire would be caused by cats. I suspect your coils may need to be replaced. What spark plugs did you use?
I think the misfires are caused by the oil pooling around & mucking up the plugs. This can damage the cats if left unchecked for a long time. I've heard that the coils are rarely the problem - if anything, it's the boots. The plugs are NGK BKR6EQUP, which many e39 enthusiasts use w/o problems.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
One trick to get the stuck plugs out is to try with the engine hot. Things expand when warm and may make the difference. I don't think spraying anything like pB blaster will help, but won't hurt either (except when it burns off when the engine heats up).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts