BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I've found my carpet wet under the the mat on the passenger side?:cry: It has been raining off and on here in the Northwest. I just got my car out of the shop and the techs said my drains seem to be flowing fine?:dunno: Again there's a wet spot in the right corner of the passenger side. (under the mat) Has anyone had this problem before? I don't know what to check for? Weather stripping around the door? Or maybe I have a air vent open and don't know it? Another question is how do you shut the air vents on the 530i and could this cause water to come in if open? I'm trying to understand the manual but it's not explaining it well.:mad:

·
Registered
31 Posts
did you have a headlight or taillight replaced?

the reason i ask is because something similar happened to me years ago with an eagle talon i owned. i was in a fender bender and the back taillight had to be replaced. it was not done properly and a rubber seal was never put back. so when it would rain, the water from the back window which should have drained off the car actually went into the frame where the taillight was and settled in the front floor board.

just a thought.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you have a headlight or taillight replaced?

the reason i ask is because something similar happened to me years ago with an eagle talon i owned. i was in a fender bender and the back taillight had to be replaced. it was not done properly and a rubber seal was never put back. so when it would rain, the water from the back window which should have drained off the car actually went into the frame where the taillight was and settled in the front floor board.

just a thought.
I have not. I did buy the car use.. Carfax said never any accidents. I will mention that to the tech when I go back..anymore thoughts out there before Monday? I'm thinking a seal around the passenger door is failing?

·
Registered
756 Posts
If the moisture is oily, it is a leaky heater core.

I doubt that the door seal is the problem; car is too new for that.

More likely: Windshield seal has dried up. If so, it likely had a poor installation at some time in the past.

·
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere
664 Posts
Wet Floor

I have posted on this a couple months back. For my 04 545i the wetness on the passenger footwell was coming from a ventilation duct that can be seen right were the carpet meets the firewall area inside passenger side. The duct is a fan ventilation tube for the computer boxes that are under the hood RH side. In my case there is a white slide clip right against the firewall that holds the cover on over the computer boxes. My clip was open and water from the windhield can come right down and get in the box. I had another 2 to 3 inches of water once I removed the cover, nearly getting to my computer ( DME)

I put a silicone seal around the cover's gasket and then fixed the clip to the closed position. I have not had any water since and I have been in several rain storms in Florida since. This was also after checking all 4 sunroof drain lines which were fine as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have posted on this a couple months back. For my 04 545i the wetness on the passenger footwell was coming from a ventilation duct that can be seen right were the carpet meets the firewall area inside passenger side. The duct is a fan ventilation tube for the computer boxes that are under the hood RH side. In my case there is a white slide clip right against the firewall that holds the cover on over the computer boxes. My clip was open and water from the windhield can come right down and get in the box. I had another 2 to 3 inches of water once I removed the cover, nearly getting to my computer ( DME)

I put a silicone seal around the cover's gasket and then fixed the clip to the closed position. I have not had any water since and I have been in several rain storms in Florida since. This was also after checking all 4 sunroof drain lines which were fine as well.
Wow! I will look up under the dash? On the front passenger side and see if I see a ventilation duct?
You said to look for a white clip that can slide back and forth? This is beginning to be annoying but if I can't see what you're talking about, I will tell my mechanics...what you said. I hope this is it:mad:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just went out side and it's not really raining. I notice water coming from behind the panel of the passenger front passenger door/ bottom. I wiped it dry and all the sudden here comes another stream of water. I believe when I had my windows tinted the guy moved the rubber @ the window. I notice a 1/4" gap and looks like the rubber was been moved over a bit. I'm not sure how this happened. But I believe water is getting in through the windows due to the guy moving the rubber?? I stuff some plastic in the whole until I can get some one to either move the rubber over or replace with new..
I think this is it....:) Keeping my fingers cross...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wet Floorboard from Leaky door

This problem was probably caused by a water barrier, inside the door, which is no longer sealed properly. This is a common problem and I am surprised the dealership didn't know to check this out. Tell them to open up the door panel and check the barrier which probably just needs to be re-attached to the door frame with adhesive. My repair took about 1 hour and was covered under the warranty. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts