BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, wanted to get your opinions on what this drip/leak could possibly be. A little background on my E39. Its a 03 530i about 165,000 miles on it. Been driving great but recently got a P0741 code for torque converter, but still was driving fine.

After some research decided to get a torqueconverter1 torque converter and had a guy replace it. Reset the SES light, and been driving 200-300 miles since and SES light remains off. Great.

But recently noticed a new drip on the drive way when I back out in the morning. Seems to be coming from a foot or so inside from the front license plate. See the below picture. This was this morning before I started the engine.

Also, since the new torque converter and tranny fluid change, downshifts only have been a little more noticeable, and twice I have had when I come to a stop the rpm rev on me with my foot on the brake?

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_6448.jpg

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Check for codes and then get the car up in the air so you can see where the leak is coming from. "You can't tell the players without a program!" (Yogi B.)

Jim

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Might be anything. Like MKJS suggested get it on a lift or get dirty and get on your back and try to source the leak.

·
Registered
470 Posts
After you get under it and report back, describe the fluid. Color, taste (be careful), odor, slippery, etc. Many liquids are found up front.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with the get under there and look, but if I had to guess it is the transmission cooler lines likely were loosened or strained when tranny was removed to replace torque converter - check the 2 lines - might be a simple o-ring replacement fix or just tighten them up

HTH

John

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Could be anything. The belly pan can confuse you with regard to location of a leak. Remove it and see if you can find the source.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If its a foot back from the license plate then its probably something dripping onto the cover, then dripping of that onto the ground. Need to remove the cover and have a look underneath with a torch.

Spod

·
Registered
606 Posts
If it is oil, +1 to oil filter housing.
If it is ATF (super stinky), I suspect a leak in the power steering at the reservoir and/or hoses.
Both are common points of failure.
It looks like you are missing the "Engine compartment screening, front" which should have caught that drip. You can find it at RealOEM.com in the "Vehicle trim > Mounting parts, engine compartment" section. If you don't have one, get one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it up on a lift the other day...looks like the most residue was right at the power steering rack closer to the driver side. Got the car running on the lift and turned the steering wheel back and forth. Could not get it to drip or leak anywhere. So thinking its a minor leak at the moment. I'm going to monitor my power steering atf reservoir and listen for some groaning over the next week to see if that is exactly what it is. If so probably should replace the steering rack I think.

Thanks as always guys for your help in diag.

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Got it up on a lift the other day...looks like the most residue was right at the power steering rack closer to the driver side. Got the car running on the lift and turned the steering wheel back and forth. Could not get it to drip or leak anywhere. So thinking its a minor leak at the moment. I'm going to monitor my power steering atf reservoir and listen for some groaning over the next week to see if that is exactly what it is. If so probably should replace the steering rack I think.

Thanks as always guys for your help in diag.
Did you take the drip pan off?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
How was your splash shield cleanliness?
If you have enough junk (dripppings etc) then any fluids (rain water, coolant, etc) can "hydrate" the mess, leak out, and look like this. Unless it has been raining or you washed your vehicle though, you have an active leak and should find it. Even if you did wash etc, finding and repairing a leak is never a bad thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That could be very likely as my power steering fluid has not changed in level in the last few days.

Thanks for the help guys. If I figure anything further out I will keep it posted.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Could someone else have parked in your parking spot, and it was their car that dripped, not yours?

Jim

Call me paranoid but I always look walking up to my car and has happened to me alot!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update for you guys, my SES came on, I checked my coolant level in the morning cold, saw that the level/red float was extremely low. So I went and got some BMW coolant filled it up. The SES light turned off. Now when I park I checked under my car and seems to be leaking a decent amount of liquid (blue tinge) like the coolant. So it seems the leak is coolant, just need to find out where it's coming from.

It's not the expansion tank, I don't see any cracks in it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only other place that coolant could be coming from are the radiator hoses right? Hoping to get to an indie soon to get the his thoughts and hoping to just have to replace some hoses fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Update for you guys, my SES came on, I checked my coolant level in the morning cold, saw that the level/red float was extremely low. So I went and got some BMW coolant filled it up. The SES light turned off. Now when I park I checked under my car and seems to be leaking a decent amount of liquid (blue tinge) like the coolant. So it seems the leak is coolant, just need to find out where it's coming from.

It's not the expansion tank, I don't see any cracks in it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only other place that coolant could be coming from are the radiator hoses right? Hoping to get to an indie soon to get the his thoughts and hoping to just have to replace some hoses fingers crossed.
Good going!!! Next step is a pressure test of the cooling system to find the location of the leak.

Jim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Turns out it was the upper and lower radiator hoses that were faulty. Replaced those and did a coolant flush.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts