BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, trying to figure out what is the part in the image.
looks like there is a small oil leak from the hose that is connected to it. Looked at every diagram I could find online, no luck.
On the front right side of the car. 2014 X3 35i

Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread Motor vehicle

Thanks so much

·
Registered
968 Posts
You have a few things circled, but the item on the silver assembly, is the pre-cat O2 sensor on the catalytic converter...item 1 in the diagram below....

Automotive lighting Font Gas Auto part Engineering

also in your picture is the a bracket, item 1 below:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Rim Hood

But neither would be your source or oil (I don't see any), but if you have oil on any of the two items shown above, it's probably coming from your turbo or from your valve cover....

If I missed it completely, maybe you can draw an arrow to the item in question.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a few things circled, but the item on the silver assembly, is the pre-cat O2 sensor on the catalytic converter...item 1 in the diagram below....

View attachment 1046341

also in your picture is the a bracket, item 1 below:

View attachment 1046342

But neither would be your source or oil (I don't see any), but if you have oil on any of the two items shown above, it's probably coming from your turbo or from your valve cover....

If I missed it completely, maybe you can draw an arrow to the item in question.....
Thank you for the great answer. You were right on! looks like an oil leak from the valve cover that drips on the catalytic converter. Probably above my skill level.. :-(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Funny enough, mine has started leaking and is dripping oil in that same area and creating smoke. I have it scheduled to have the valve gasket and cover replaced coming up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts