BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at about 3pm I was pulling into my apartment complex after driving for about 20 min and just as I pulled into the lot pure white smoke came bellowing out of the exhaust! I put the car in neutral and shut the car off. The car did not show over heating on the gauges and i checked oil levels too and they had not fallen. I called the local mechanic I go to for advice as I do most repairs myself and he said it was probably the crankcase valve I think is what he said. any help would be useful.

Also I moved the car to the front of my apartment monitoring engine temp fit took about 1 minute. I also noticed a major loss of power and the car did not seem to want to rev (I only drove about 300 yards so not the most through driving test) and the smoke quit coming out the exhaust I then shut the engine off and have not touched it since. I still have not gotten an error code or SES light either!

Car is a 2003 330i with 135K

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
Sounds like the tell tale sign of a failed CVV. I have seen it a few times where the car just poured white smoke. You will need new spark plugs too as the oil bath they are getting will foul them. And when that happens you will get codes galore.

Replace CVV and plugs and move along, it'll be good as new.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope it is the CCV because 98% of everyone who has posted has suggested head gasket and or a cracked head :( but with no history of overheating or have I ever over heated it I hope it is not. I will be taking my car to the mechanics to have it compression tested so I guess I will find out soon

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
I hope it is the CCV because 98% of everyone who has posted has suggested head gasket and or a cracked head :( but with no history of overheating or have I ever over heated it I hope it is not. I will be taking my car to the mechanics to have it compression tested so I guess I will find out soon
That is because white smoke out the exhaust CAN BE (not always) a blown head gasket. But with no instance of oeverheating, you have a bad CVV. Had I not fixed several cars with your issue, I would think head gasket too. I am sure your head gasket is just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.