BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to this forum and it seems great. I have a 2002 BMW 530i. A couple weeks ago white smoke came out of the tailpipe. I took it to a place and they said I had a blown head gasket and my temperature gage broke and that's why it didn't say it overheated but no smoke came out from under the hood. I took it to another place for a second opinion and he replaced the following: Upper Radiator Hose because he said there was a leak in the plastic, and the Intake manifold gasket. He said he found a vaccuum leak. the intake manifold was leaking and a breather hose for the crank case. He replaced the boot and the intake gasket. He also said the temperature gage wasn't broken. All this cost me 674.64. When I was driving it home there was still white smoke coming out. I let it sit in my driveway for hours then started it up and white smoke again. I drove for a couple minutes, stopped, waited, then started again and no white smoke. I'm very frustrated because I don't know what's wrong with it and I'm dreading getting up in the morning and starting it to white smoke! I don't know much about cars so please help me with suggestions. Thanks!

·
Slip slidin around town
1,359 Posts
If your loosing coolant,(white smoke) you probably have a bad head gasket. Should have listened to the first mechanic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for all this help! I picked up the car the other day and drove it home and pretty much there was no improvement. Also, Radiator fluid was shooting out, not from the cap but behind it, and landing on the engine. I don't know what's wrong and pretty frustrated. If there's any other advice please let me know.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
If there's any other advice please let me know.
There's nothing that can happen to your bimmer that hasn't happened already to our (tribal) BMWs ...

So, take it easy ... and use the 'search' button.

Specifically, stop driving that car and overhaul the entire cooling system.
- List & picture of all the cooling system overhaul parts to replace (1) (2) (3)

Otherwise, if you continue to drive the vehicle with coolant leaking, I'll reserve a spot for you on this illustrious list of people who ruined their engines doing exactly that:
- What happens if you drive 1 mile too far on an overheated BMW E39 engine (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37)

·
Keeping it surreal
43,316 Posts
If you research "CVV" (Crankcase Ventilation Valve), also called "CCV" or "Oil Seperator", you`ll find that when they begin to fail (and they ALL do, it`s just a matter of "when", and not "if"), one of the symptoms is pushing smoke out the tailpipe with no signs of overheating, which would indicate something more serious (i.e., head gasket).
Without performing a PROPER diagnosis (like a leakdown/compression test) to help pinpoint the problem, these idiot "mechanics" are just shooting in the dark with no sense of direction.
Find a shop that actually knows how to diagnose, that`s Step Number One.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts