BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order the 08 550i. I would like your comments on any of the following:

1. What does ordering premium hifi get you (brand, performance)?
2. Is there a weight difference with 6spd manual transmission vs the other options?

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
22 lbs for the regular automatic, per the brochure.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Get the 6 speed manual. I've got it on my 2008 550i sport package and the short throw-short shifter is the best transmission I've driven. It makes a real high performance sport sedan perform ( that is if you don't have to regularly drive in stop-and-go traffic).

·
Registered
277 Posts
The upgraded systems is a must IMO. The regular sound system in any BMW is pretty pathetic if you ask me. The upgraded one goes take the system from a 3.5 to a 8 if you ask me!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I, on the other hand, could barely tell a difference in the standard vs. Logic 7 stereo systems. I'm honestly not sure that either of them is as good as the Bose system on my Audi, but after listening side by side using a CD I know well, I couldn't justify the additional $1200. It's entirely possible that others have a finer appreciation for these things however, so I'd take the same sound test I did.

Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too am use to the bose system in my current car. I'm no audiophile. But, I can appreciate the difference between the bose in my vette and what I hear when I ocassionally ride with someone else. Now, I know bose is not that highly regarded amongst audiophiles. But, are you saying the hifi option for 1,200 doesn't measure up to a bose system. If that is the case I just assume not get the upgraded audio and do some aftermarket upgrade later. Any other comments on the sound quality good or bad?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I think the L7 system is worth it. Some don't like it though - not sure why. I prefer it over the ML system in my wife's Lexus, but other will say the opposite.

You should give it a good listen first and compare for yourself with a CD that you know very well. If you cannot tell the difference then maybe not worth doing - and probably not worth upgrading in any other way since you probably won't hear that either.

And if you plan to mostly listen to Sirius, heaven help you - nothing will make that sound right.

·
Registered
930 Posts
And if you plan to mostly listen to Sirius, heaven help you - nothing will make that sound right.
Agreed - unless you are a Stern fan, I see no reason to waste your money on this option. I sure wish I had my $600 back....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts