BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Can anyone give me an indication as to what this warning light indicates on my friends 2003 325xi?

Thanks.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
that indicates that he has a rear bulb burnt out... could be the rear parking lights, reverse lights, or turn signals...one or combination of these...
Hope this helps...

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
It's in the manual. If you don't have a manual, you can download one. There's a link in the wiki (sticky thread at the top of this forum).

hint: the car thinks you have a tail light/brake light/turn signal out. I think you can figure out which side.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I get that indication a few times a week.

I go outside the car, and check everything - all the bulbs are lit.

If it's on when I start out in the morning, it'll stay on for 20 min ride if I do nothing.

If I turn on parking lights - or headlights - it goes out within seconds.

So standard procedure now is if this thing is on, turn on parking lights till it goes out. Then turn 'em off. PITA

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I get that indication a few times a week.

I go outside the car, and check everything - all the bulbs are lit.

If it's on when I start out in the morning, it'll stay on for 20 min ride if I do nothing.

If I turn on parking lights - or headlights - it goes out within seconds.

So standard procedure now is if this thing is on, turn on parking lights till it goes out. Then turn 'em off. PITA
That sounds way easier than cleaning the sockets out or checking the socket wiring for melted wires (both common issues..)....

·
Registered
251 Posts
That sounds way easier than cleaning the sockets out or checking the socket wiring for melted wires (both common issues..)....
I did pull the things out from the trunk, and inspected the bulbs & sockets looking for intermittant filament (another common issue) or water damage etc. when this issue started. I saw nothing wrong the bulbs were good, sockets good.

I did not know about this grounding issue, or the burnt wiring that did appear on a thread a few days ago with that service bulletin. I will re-inspect everything now that I have something else more specific to look for.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I did not know about this grounding issue, or the burnt wiring that did appear on a thread a few days ago with that service bulletin. I will re-inspect everything now that I have something else more specific to look for.
Another thing to do is to replace bulbs on BOTH sides of the car. Some brands of aftermarket bulbs can have slightly different power consumption..

·
Registered
824 Posts
In my case, it was corroded contacts. it's actually happening again this week after about 7 months so i'm gonna get in there sometime tonight and clean them out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check what i recently posted about this issue and my suggested quick-fix for this small imtermittent problem.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Dont forget the tag lights :)

That drove me nuts for 6 months straight. Its the bulbs above the license plate.
It lights the tail light out warning for them :(

But it shows the light for both bulbs being out not just one.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for everyones help.

Jeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did pull the things out from the trunk, and inspected the bulbs & sockets looking for intermittant filament (another common issue) or water damage etc. when this issue started. I saw nothing wrong the bulbs were good, sockets good.

i have the same issue , rear right warning but everything visible ok ?

also four years ago when my 03 330xi was still under warranty they did change the whole thing but still i am having the issue ....one of those things that drive one crazy

On 9/04/2011, NHTSA announced a recall of MY 2002 - 2005 325i, 325xi, 330i, 330xi models built between 9/01/2001 and 3/01/2005 to repair the open ground connection at the 8-pin connnector of the tail light assembly. A total of 241,000 vehicles are affected. The recall identification number is 11V438000. Repairs will be made free of charge. Owner notification is expected to begin in October of 2011. Owner's may Google 'NHTSA Recalls' and enter the appropriate model information to view documents as BMW submits them to NHTSA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts