BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Joined this forum so I can please get some clarification on seating options on what will be my first BMW purchase. I am interested in a 2013 128i convertible (like the soft tops). I am really confused as to the seat options. I read through a bunch of these forum posts and I think I just became more confused. Can anyone please help me clarify what seat options are available with what packages?
I definitely want the premium package which comes with power front seats with driver seat memory and lumbar support. I saw a vehicle which has this premium package plus the build report showed a $400.00 charge for sports seats...so do I reasonably conclude that these sports seats have 8 way power seats with adjustable lumbar support? And is the adjustable lumbar support also powered?
I have also seen this vehicle with both the premium and the M sport packages. What does this do to the seats?
I went to a BMW dealer - I sat in a car with sports seats and the sales guy said "oh you don't want those, they are too firm..." he never told me that you can inflate and deflate the side lumbar support (probably because I came in interested in a car that did not have sports seats and he did not want me to want those). So...in this regard, do the sports seats only inflate/deflate in a car without the premium package but with the premium package, they will have power adjustable lumbar support?
Then on top of that, I read on this forum, the ability to adjust the thigh support -- where does that come into play? Will that be power adjustable with the premium package sports seats?
Basically, what do the seats do with the Premium Package with only the sports seats upgrade? And what do the seats do with the Premium Package AND the complete M Sports Package? (If there is any difference between those). What is adjustable? What is powered? What is manual? ...
Very confused! :confused: THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Basically, there are two seat types available on the 1 series for that year, the standard seat and the sport seat. The standard seat is more flat on the bottom and back, and doesn't have the adjustable thigh support. The sport seat has thick bolsters on the sides of the seat and back to keep you in place when goring around corners, and it has an adjustable thigh support. The thigh support on the sport seat slides forward manually in all cases. As for the other controls, both seat types (standard and sport) can be powered or manual adjust. Power seats, as you can imagine, have all the switches on the side for adjusting 8-way seat position. On vehicles without power seats, these adjustments are made with manual levers on the side and underneath the seat. It is possible to have standard seats with power adjustments as well as sport seats with manual adjustments, or vice versa. They are separate options.

Lumbar support is yet another option, separate from the seat type and the powered/manual adjustment method. Lumbar uses bags of air in the back of the seat that are inflated/deflated with switches on the side of the seat, near the front. The control looks like a game pad, and is always powered if it is present.

If you can look at the build sheets for the vehicles (or do a VIN search online) the codes of interest are:
481 - Sport Seats (included with M Sport Package, optional otherwise)
459 - Power front seats with driver's side memory (included with Premium Package on 128i, standard on 135i)
488 - Lumbar support (included with Premium Package on 128i, standard on 135i)

This info is from the 2013 1-series order guide, so may differ for earlier years. Let me know if you need more info. I have a 2013 135i M Sport with all available options and a 2014 X1 with standard, manual seats!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU JOHNSOCK for the reply. Helps a lot!

Do the sports seats have less cushioning?

I read on some posts that some people had trouble getting comfortable in the sports seats - if the seats come with the premium package, with lumbar support, I think you could find a pretty comfortable position. Is there any reason why someone would not want sports seats (assuming sports seats with premium package)?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't think the problem with sport seats is less cushioning. They are quite comfortable, but have a different shape that is more designed to tightly hug your sides and keep your butt from moving around. This can make them feel less cushioned at first, but I actually prefer them when they are adjusted correctly. One problem I've had is that I'm a bit wider than I was 20 years ago so I have to adjust the side bolsters all the way out to sit comfortably, and I can't put a wallet in my back pocket without it making the seat uncomfortable. If I were any bigger I might not want sport seats, but I'm very happy with them now and I'd get them again if I were buying another vehicle. Still, there is nothing wrong with the standard seats. They are very comfortable, even on long trips, but they don't keep you as snug when going around the corners.

I'd recommend taking some test drives of both styles of seat (standard and sport) to see how they feel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS JOHNSOCK. I am on the smaller side, 5,4" normal weight, and when I sat in them at the dealership I liked the "hugging" feel -- BUT this explains why my husband who is a bigger guy did NOT like them at all. Then again, like I mentioned in my original post, the sales guy never mentioned that there are different options for the sports seats. We sat in one car with sports seats that had manual seat adjustments (i.e., no power), and probably no lumbar support either (I am assuming since there was no power "game pad"). So if my husband were to drive the car, I imagine that he too would have to adjust the bolsters all the way out to be more comfortable. If I understand your previous post correctly, the only way to adjust the bolsters "in and out" is if the sports seats come with the lumbar support option, am I understanding that correctly? (Which they would with the premium package). Thanks again for taking the time to post! I do appreciate it! :)
(BTW, this same sales guy told us that the sports seats remove most of the cushioning from the regular seats).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just spoke with a dealer that said that he does not believe that sports seats ever come just manual - i.e., you can always adjust the side bolsters -- so maybe I was in a car with sports seats and I just did not pay attention to whether they were powered. ... But I think below you mentioned that manual sports seats are a possibility. Anyway, I will not worry about that part - no matter what I am getting the premium package. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I know I said that I wasn't going to worry about this part of the equation, but I was still curious so I researched the answer to another point of confusion for me in regards to the sports seats: ....

"The side bolsters have electrical adjustment, regardless of whether the seat is manual or electric." ...

I think I got it all straight now. :thumbup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
You are correct, the side bolster controls are electric. Also, I failed to mention that they also use bags of air and have their own switch, separate from the lumbar buttons and the seat movement ones. This makes me think this adjustment may be separate from the lumbar option, but I can't confirm it.

I'd recommend the premium package regardless. All the other items included make it worthwhile. Good luck with the search!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts