BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, new to the the 2008 528i what exactly do I need to get for HID's any special connectors or anything, I know I need the bulb's and Ballast, I don't know anything about! :dunno: I also want to install the iBright V3.0 but want to make sure this is a good idea, and what everyone elses opinion out there who know much more then I do! :) thanks for the help! - Corbin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hid

I have 8K HID's in my car. I got them aftermarket. I didn't waste the money doing my high beams, just low beams and fogs. I don't do any country road driving at all, so high beams was not impt.

I really, really had a hard time getting my HID lights to work right in the beginning. It was really a pain in the neck, but I really wanted HID lights since my last car had them. You have to be careful as to what type of bulb you are trying to put in the housing on your BMW. For my car, it takes the H7 bulbs and I tried to use a bulb with a plastic base, but it wouldn't go in- you MUST get the metal based bulbs (if it is H7) otherwise, you will tear up your hand trying to get it into the housing.

You also have to worry about the "lights out" coming up on your comp screen. The place I got them from sold me some resistors and it took care of the problem.

Good luck with your HID adventure.

-J

·
Banned
133 Posts
Alright here is what I did. I bought two kits. The first was just bulbs because my car came with the xenon upgrade already. The second set for the fogs was the bulbs and ballast. What you will need is a thing called a warning canceler kit. On ebay it sells for around $25. Ask the person you are buying your HID's from because my last set I bought now 10000K(Dark Blue) had the warning canceler kit built in. Simple plug and play either way. Make sure you get the warning canceler or a resister(don't really like resisters though) because if not you can burn out the light switch will cost around $1200. My cousin had the misfortune of not knowing about the warning canceler and just put the kit on. Dealer charged him 1200 to fix.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Plenty on ebay that sell the whole set. Like others said, shop from the sellers that sell the light with warning canceling chips. You will also need to get the OEM metal retaining springs to secure the bulb into the light housing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts