BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First I'd like to thank all for their insight and time. I've saved many $$ with all of you pitching in with your wisdom, so thanks in advance.....As previously mentioned my speedometer decided to crap out one day and now tops off at 20mph when going about 65mph...anything slower it's pretty much at the stop. The ODO/tripmeter reads as if I am going 10-20mph so that makes sense. All other gauges are fine. I did the gauge test 2.0 and they all sweep just fine (with an emphasis of course on the speedo). So I figured it was the speedo sensor in the diff. Received that a few days ago and installed it today. The other one had gunk all over it (probably due for a diff. flush) so I figured hey, this just might work. NOPE, new sensor installed and no change. What else could it be? It's registering something to move up to 20mph but needs to be at a much higher wheel speed....please don't tell me I need to change the whole cluster...:dunno:

·
Carpe Diem
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK for those who are interested who have had/or are having the same problem. I (after much built up animosity) decided to approach my car without kicking it and began to contemplate. What I should have done many moons ago, I did now, and that was check fuses. Now to check a fuse when the speedo isn't entirely DEAD seemed like a moot point but hey why not. There are 5 fuses that work in relation with the cluster...I replaced each one with a new fuse and tossed the old (all were visually fine). I now have a speedo...could have been minor corrosion, bad contact, lack of contact, who the heck knows. I also had an intermittent central door locking system (wouldn't always latch when locking or after starting vehicle) AND cruise control (hasn't engaged for awhile now)for years...so I changed out EVERY fuse in the damn box and boom...EVERYTHING works. Faulty, cheap fuses, corrosion, no contact, minor disconnect in the fuse itself, etc. etc. who cares. Just figured I'd throw that out for ya guys and since it's cheap it may just work for someone else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Some M roadster and coupes had to have their clusters replaced. Way to replace the cheap parts first!

·
Carpe Diem
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No kidding! I'm so happy I only had to spend 10 bucks on new fuses. Something easy for once.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wonder if pulling the fuses reset one of the computers in the car. None the less, CONGRATS! It is a great feeling when you vanquish one of those mysterious Car Demons that haunts our systems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts