Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a 2007 335i convertible (E93) that has keyless entry. It was working flawlessly for many years but started to give me problems some time ago both when I tried opening or locking doors by touching the door handles. I thought that the problem might be that the battery in the key fob had run down so I changed the battery. Now I find that I can lock the doors every time but I am not able to open the door without pulling the fob out of my pocket and pressing the relevant key. Before I take the vehicle in to my dealer for a check-up, I thought that I would post this message in case anyone else had experienced and resolved this problem. I did a search on this site but did not come up with any hits that answered my question. Any help that you can give me would be much appreciated.

I should also mention that I consulted the owner's manual and did not find an answer to my question in it.

Thanks for your help.

CarSwami

·
Registered
289 Posts
Did you have the new battery properly registered?

When your battery is weak (or the car thinks it is), the car will shut down non essential systems when it goes to sleep. The problem you have is that the car believes your battery is weak, so it's shutting down the CA system when it sleeps. This is why you can lock the car when the car is still awake, but if you come back later, the car is asleep, and not listening for CA commands. You can test this by trying to unlock the car while it's still awake. As soon as you get out, use comfort access to lock, and then unlock the car right away, it should work. If it does, then have the battery checked, and get it properly registered, and everything should work fine.

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you have the new battery properly registered?

When your battery is weak (or the car thinks it is), the car will shut down non essential systems when it goes to sleep. The problem you have is that the car believes your battery is weak, so it's shutting down the CA system when it sleeps. This is why you can lock the car when the car is still awake, but if you come back later, the car is asleep, and not listening for CA commands. You can test this by trying to unlock the car while it's still awake. As soon as you get out, use comfort access to lock, and then unlock the car right away, it should work. If it does, then have the battery checked, and get it properly registered, and everything should work fine.
That's a brilliant suggestion! Now that you mention it, I think that I have unwittingly actually done the test that you have suggested and got the result that you predicted. But I'll do the test again this evening and report back. Simply outstanding! Thanks for your help. :)

CarSwami

·
Blue428i
2 Posts
I had a similar problem (2007 E93). Suddenly the ability to use the door handles to lock and unlock ceased to function. I could still unlock by pushing the key fob buttons or the central button and the trunk still opened ok. This went on for a week. I decided to check the fuses. I pulled 56/57/63 and 33 per the cheat sheet supplied by BMW. All fuses were OK so I plugged them back in.

Much to my surprise, everything worked when I got done. I think something got mixed up in some computer somewhere and taking the fuses out reset it....???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts