BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
silly question but

i changed my oil 5 months ago, exact 2/16/2007
and when i start the car only have one green light out.

i heard hear about the BMW 15000 miles recomendation(BS)

but at the same time dont use my bmw to commute. (hang out, errands, )

It has been 3K miles since i changed it though.

what do you guys think?
change soon or wait for the oil service intevenal kick in.

·
Wrenchin' fool ...
777 Posts
Personally ...

2X a year or every 5K for synthetic oil cars [my suburban and new to me 528iT].

I have an E30 with 228,000 miles on the original motor using dinosaur oil and been changing it every 3000 for the last 14 years of driving. I also have a '76 Porsche 911 [with 10+ quarts of dinasaur oil - oil cooled motor] and it has 172,000 and gets 2X a year b/c drive less than 4000 miles a year.

Never had a bearing / cam lobe wear or compression problem ... [though I am sure the E30 and the 911 have lost some compression ... ;)]

·
Registered
559 Posts
Just read this thread. I had a '94 Diamante and changed the oil every 4-5000 miles along with filter. I didn't want to put clean oil in with a dirty filter. The car gave me no problems and the engine was never taken apart for any reason other than a timing belt change and two water pumps changed only as precaution. Sold the car recently with 334,000 miles. I only used 10w40 oil. I believe the manufacturer recommended 7500 miles between changes but a change cost very little and I wanted the car to be dependable. Good luck with your car!

·
Registered
568 Posts
i change my oil every 7000 miles with 5w30 synthetic oil ...even if i have more than 3 green bars ,.i never listen to those interval things ..seems to long of time to keep that dirty oil in the engine ..so i would change it real soon

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's been 7 months since my oil was changed and I have 2 green bars. I have the extended service contract, so should I change the oil and not reset the service interval so that the dealer can do the next one?

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
silly question but

i changed my oil 5 months ago, exact 2/16/2007
and when i start the car only have one green light out.

i heard hear about the BMW 15000 miles recomendation(BS)

but at the same time dont use my bmw to commute. (hang out, errands, )

It has been 3K miles since i changed it though.

what do you guys think?
change soon or wait for the oil service intevenal kick in.
The green service lights in the E39 do not go by mileage. They go with conjunction to the fuel consumption among other things.

If you use your car for short drives and do not commute, than actually you'd need to change your oil more often. Driving about half an hour at normal engine temperatures will give your oil a chance to burn all the contamination in it. Therefore, you can keep it for longer time. Short drives don't give the oil chance to burn them away.

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
While under warranty, I changed my oil at the half way point on the service indicator but did not reset, so that the dealer changed it later. That way it was about 7,500 between changes. The service indicator monitors only fuel burned since last service. BMW recommends (and supplies, under the service agreement) at least one oil change per year regardless of mileage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts