BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to change transmission fluid in 2004 325i manual. I wanna do it my self.
Do anyone know what brand I need to use and what about "Swepco 201 Transmission Fluid"
Thank you.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,205 Posts
Hi, I want to change transmission fluid in 2004 325i manual. I wanna do it my self.
Do anyone know what brand I need to use and what about "Swepco 201 Transmission Fluid"
Thank you.
Welcome aboard !

This is a relatively simple job....the important thing to remember is to remove the filler plug FIRST, *before draining the trans*....(could prove embarrassing & inconvenient otherwise :). Swepco, RedLine MTL, or MTL mixed 50/50 with RedLine ATF are all fine....Royal Purple would be OK too. You`ll need 2 quarts (liters) and a small hand pump. After draining the trans, replace the drain plug securely, and pump in the new lube until it starts to dribble out the fill hole....reinsert the fill plug, snug it down securely, and you`re done....

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
After draining the trans, replace the drain plug securely, and pump in the new lube until it starts to dribble out the fill hole....reinsert the fill plug, snug it down securely, and you`re done....
Wouldn't it be a good idea to drop the pan, wipe it clean and inspect the magnets, and replace the mesh "filter" as well?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,205 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you !!! I have 75000 miles on my car if I change transmission fluid now when I have to do that again ?

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
thank you !!! I have 75000 miles on my car if I change transmission fluid now when I have to do that again ?
Erm, well, that kind of depends on what maintenance schedule you want to use.

According to the manufacturer, you never have to change the fluid in the MT.

I asked Mike Miller, a noted columnist for the BMW CCA about it and he indicated for good life out of the transmision to replace the fluid every 30,000 miles, which is what I'm doing.

I use Pentosin MTF2 Manual Transmission Fluid SAE 75W-80 API GL-4: "MTF Manual Transmission Fluid Pentosin MTF2 can be used on many European passenger cars equipped with ZF or Getrag manual transmissions from 1997-On. Manufactured by Deutsche Pentosin Werke GMBH Wedel/Germany."

·
tappa tappa toit
4,727 Posts
Welcome aboard !

This is a relatively simple job....the important thing to remember is to remove the filler plug FIRST, *before draining the trans*....(could prove embarrassing & inconvenient otherwise :). Swepco, RedLine MTL, or MTL mixed 50/50 with RedLine ATF are all fine....Royal Purple would be OK too. You`ll need 2 quarts (liters) and a small hand pump. After draining the trans, replace the drain plug securely, and pump in the new lube until it starts to dribble out the fill hole....reinsert the fill plug, snug it down securely, and you`re done....
That sounds so fun. I can't wait to do mine in 3
20,000 miles. It's been 10,000 miles since my last diff and trans fluid change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts