BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

help won't start

1613 Views 13 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  bmwagon777
someone anyone please help i have 06 530xi i drove all day parked and now my car won't start battery charged but just one click and not turning over if anyone has any idea please share thanks all
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
If the battery read a full 12 volts then most likely the click you heard was the solenoid closing, but the starter motor didn't turn over.

To know for sure you will have to put a multimeter on the solenoid terminals while turning the key (to verify 12V at the solenoid) and then the multimeter on the starter terminals to verify 12V at the starter motor with no motor activity.
someone anyone please help i have 06 530xi i drove all day parked and now my car won't start battery charged but just one click and not turning over if anyone has any idea please share thanks all
I had this problem and if turning key is not doing anything then your starter motor is gone just like mine did.

Sent from my Android Bug :)
your starter went just like that without any warning? i wellhave it checked today and repost any findings > Any other ideas will be appreciated please post Thanks
Are all your other electronics working? getting any other errors on the dash/i drive etc?
your starter went just like that without any warning? i wellhave it checked today and repost any findings > Any other ideas will be appreciated please post Thanks
yes everything else is working
If you have never replaced the battery then it is time. Recharge the battery and try to start it again.
Have you tried jumping the car off another car or a jumper battery? also, if you have a volt meter, check the voltage on the battery while someone else is in the car attempting to start the car. if it's a bad battery, you will see the voltage drop dramatically.
i tried jumpstarting it but no luck i also checked voltage tothe starter which it is getting full voltage go my guess is the starter is bad >is there an easy way to remove the starter
I assume you have M54 engine. My Bently book says the following:

The Starter is removed from below. Access to the starter bolts is difficult. Be sure to have the proper tools on hand before proceeding.

- Disconnect Negative Battery cable.
- Raise Vehicle and support safely.
- Remove front suspension reinforcement plate.
- Working underneath car, disconnect battery positive (+) lead from starter.
- Using a long extension and universal joint from output end of transmission, remove bolts fastening starter to transmission bell housing and engine block.
- Pull starter out of transmission bell housing and detach remaining starter wiring.
- Remove starter from below.

-- Check starter pinion gear and flywheel teeth for damage.

My favorite: -- Installation is reverse of removal. :)

Hope this helps... Good Luck! --- If you do this job yourself, please take note of any special tips and tricks you learn along the way and pictures if possible and post back.
i tried jumpstarting it but no luck i also checked voltage tothe starter which it is getting full voltage go my guess is the starter is bad >is there an easy way to remove the starter
ok thanks i sure will
I want to thank you guys for your help finally gotthe starter out and rebuilt It wasnt as easy as i expected but got it done for anyone who tries this in the future it has to be done from the top removing fuel rail and the manifold there is alot of wiring to un clip so be very carefull and to lable or document where they came from The hardest part is getting to the starter but its not that bad if you have a little knowledge anyone needing any advise can im me and i will be happy to help Again thanks to all for your imput
How much did it cost to rebuild the starter?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.