BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 525i sport and the check coolant light came on today. I pulled, after checking the temp gauge which hadn't moved, and opened the hood and, looking through the smoke, noticed the radiator was leaking on the drivers side of the car (I dont know from where though) I just got the radiator flushed about 1000 miles ago, what happened?

·
Registered
641 Posts
the plastic parts on the radiator deteriorates and breaks down. very common, just search for radiator and coolant and you will have years of reading...

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
I have a 2003 525i sport and the check coolant light came on today. I pulled, after checking the temp gauge which hadn't moved, and opened the hood and, looking through the smoke, noticed the radiator was leaking on the drivers side of the car (I dont know from where though) I just got the radiator flushed about 1000 miles ago, what happened?
YOU WHAT?????

how did you check the gauge? hope you didn't run the motor too long.

·
Registered
291 Posts
new rad by the sounds of it.,
like skydryice says If its plastic, the rads gone. I'd get it fixed asap. i drove mine for 3 days after this happened and it made for very tense driving !

got mine changed not so long ago. theres a DIY here someplace if u wanna DIY.

I got mine for €130. And €90 fitted with a new pump/stat/ expansiontank and belt.

not sure how much they go for in the states.

PM me if you cant find the DIY
Best of Luck Sir

·
Registered
790 Posts
Go to the DIY section of this forum and read the " S t i c k y DIY - Cooling System Overhaul".
You should just make that your signiture. "Is your car overheating? Is it an E39! Then look HERE Before posting!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry, I pulled over..and checked the temp gauge, which surprisingly had not moved
well I got it towed and fixed by my mechanic.....new radiator installed for $875

·
Registered
414 Posts
sorry, I pulled over..and checked the temp gauge, which surprisingly had not moved
well I got it towed and fixed by my mechanic.....new radiator installed for $875
Too bad we don't have a smiley for someone getting spanked. I think you overpaid :( The part is like 200 bucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I probably did but he is the only good one around

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't think your car will stop on this. I betcha your mechanic will be replacing the following things for you during next 6 month:

- expansion tank
- thermostat
- water pump

This is the bare minimum you should do together with replacing the radiator.
I'm on my second used e39 and my experience is that the cooling system dies around 85 - 95 kmiles with bavarian precision.

·
Registered
15,231 Posts
Holy smoke....$875 for changing the radiator (itself costs $180).
Is the radiator made out of 24 carat gold?
Was the mechanic recently laid off from Wall Street.
Sorry about my humor but my friend, it was daylight robbery.

For your info, I did the entire cooling system for $550-600:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986

1 - 13 of 13 Posts