BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought my e30 and having some issues. my main problem now is when i turn off the car and take the key out of the ignition the dash lights stay on witch drains my battery. i have to unplug the battery so it wont die. can anyone help on this matter

·
Registered
529 Posts
What year and model E30 is it? ...maybe I can find a circuit diagram.
What lights stay on?.....the backlights that illuminate the guages etc. or the various LEDs such as the service indicator?:dunno:

·
Registered
529 Posts
The only reason I can see for your dash lights to stay on after switching off is that the ignition switch is faulty or the previous owner did some unusual re-wiring to bypass the ignition switch.
You probably will have to take the car to an auto electrician if you are not too familiar with electrics!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was thinking that the guy i bought it from did some rewiring because the car came with angel eye projectors and where the lights are located there is a mess. thanks for the advice i'll have to take it to an electrician.

·
Straight Bimmin
1,060 Posts
i was thinking that the guy i bought it from did some rewiring because the car came with angel eye projectors and where the lights are located there is a mess. thanks for the advice i'll have to take it to an electrician.
Well there's your problem. Most likey someone who didn't know what they were doing wired it up and messed up the switch. If you still have the guys number I would call him up and ask him what he did to turn off the dash lights.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Certainly there is a wiring diagram of the switch he can look at before he takes it to a electric wrench. That's going to cost some serious bucks there...

Anyone have pix of the back of the switch?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i took out fuse #23 to see if the battery doesnt die . so far im ok . beats the hell out of plugging and unplugging the battery. until i find the fix

·
Registered
6 Posts
Id check the switch, it sounds stuck on. In an E30 the switch can be on, and when you shut off the car, only the actual headlights turn off. All the other night time lights will stay on until the switch is turned of. The panel that the switch is attached to most likely just pops out. Just a simple connection on the switch. I have a few spare switches from parts cars and junkyard visits, can probly pick one up from a junkyard that may work for cheap.

Good luck :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts