BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im experiencing a lot of problems with my 2002 540i. My battery died about two months ago, and then again about a month ago, and I don't think i left anything on either time. I jumped the car and it worked fine.

The other day I was driving and the gas light came on. I was 31 miles to empty, and I dropped it in 4th gear driving around 90mph, and DSC light started blinking and the car was just losing power even when the gas was pushed. The RPMs would not go up and I managed to roll the car into the gas station. I turned it off, put in some gas and but then it just kept stalling when the RPMs dropped. I would pull up to a stop sign and the car would just stall. I managed to get it home even though it did stall when ever i would stop.

A few days later I was low on gas again. It was driving fine for about 2 miles, then the same thing as before happened. Now the car wouldn't go over about 2000 rpms (about 14mph) even when i applied full throttle. When ever i stopped the car would stall. I managed to get it home stalling at every stop sign going 14 mph. Later that night i went to try my car again to see what was going on. The battery was completely dead again.

I have ran out of gas a few times (times are hard), so could there be something in the fuel line? Also, obviously my battery is shot, but is this a coincidence that my battery is dead, or is this related...and how so? I do abbuse my car a lot and push it to its limits. Obviously i am going to have to deal with it the hard way.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
like you said, your battery is probably toast. However, I would get the alternator tested too.
These cars are really picky about voltage. very very picky. a lot of what you are describing could be related.
Swap the battery, report back if symptoms persist.
Secondly, check your wheel speed sensor in the back right. it controls a lot of things and if its faulty, your car will go in to limp mode.
first though, get your battery done and alternator tested. I truly believe many of those things will correct themselves when you take care of that.
good luck

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Bummmmmp

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Bumps are good, but an update from you is required before we can move forward.
did you have the battery and alternator tested? what about the speed sensors?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.