BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1999 528..i want to install the factory navigation and want to know what is invilved any help would be great..i have a screen unit but that is all i have for now..do you think i can install only the screen for now will it work.tape cd radio...

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
you're better off getting a separate GPS unit then putting the factory one in. it's a PITA from what i've read and it's not for the faint hearted. you don't have the wiring so that's gotta be added from the trunk and pulled to the front. sounds like fun eh?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I know a couple of people who have done this with no problem. You will not be able to do it yourself but with some research maybe you can find someone who's done it before. I also am going to have this conversion done to my 540. I don't know I didn't get it when I bought the car but I made sure that when I got the X5 it had NAV. Ebay is a good source for getting some of the parts and various sites such as NavTv have adaptors so you can watch TV and DVD's on the monitor. My friend told me the process took one day because the guy has done it a few times before, he left his car with the guy in the morning and picked it up that night. This way you don't have to see your car pulled apart and you can have the beauty of that 7 inch screen on your dash. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
chivas said:
you're better off getting a separate GPS unit then putting the factory one in. it's a PITA from what i've read and it's not for the faint hearted. you don't have the wiring so that's gotta be added from the trunk and pulled to the front. sounds like fun eh?
The BMW 7 inch NAV screen is beautiful and so well integrated, a separate GPS unit will never achieve the same asthetics. To me its worth the trouble, especially since everytime I get in the X5 I am reminded of what I'm missing in my 540.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
It all depends on your pocketbook...that is what it basically comes down to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts