BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here so bare with me. I drive a 2007 X5 4.8i Sport. Currently it has about 167,XXX miles. Very well maintained.

About 3 months ago, I ran SeaFoam in my fuel. The next morning, it started very hard and threw a code for "Exhaust Camshaft Sensor Bank 2". I replaced it. After about 2 days the code went away. It stayed off for about 15 days and came back.

2 months ago it started to get cold here in Michigan. It started throwing a "Transmission Malfunction" randomly when I would cold start. I would let it get warm, restart the vehicle and it would go away. Still drove awesome.

The last month I have left it in the garage due to bad weather and have been driving my other vehicle. Today was nice so I figured I would take it out on dry roads. I started it, let it warm up. I came back about 8 minutes later, I had a "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power" on my idrive display. After I left it set about 5 more minutes I figured now that it was fully warm I would restart it. I backed out of my garage into my driveway, shut off the car and tried it restart.

The engine would crank over, "Engine Malfunction- Reduced Power" would display and it would not start. I tried about 6 times. Let it set for approximately 20 minutes and tried again nothing. I even disconnected my battery terminals for 10 minutes, nothing.

Except this time after reconnecting my battery I got "AWD and DSC malfunction" Engine Malfunction-Reduce Power" and "seat calibration required". But no start.

PLEASE! What do I do? :dunno: :thumbdwn:

My family owns a shop. I have access to great mechanics. I don't know where to start? Please help. Its sitting in my driveway and I cant move it!

I appreciate those who can help!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,273 Posts
New battery.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,273 Posts
You may also have a camshaft sensor issue, but the overwhelming symptom is low bus voltages, all sorts of sporadic errors...then no start.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
How's your battery?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for your reply. The battery seemed fine, I have gotten "increased battery discharge" a few times on start up then it disappears. Also, had a few occasions where i had to reset my date and time because it said the battery was disconnected. But I've never had to jump it, and it always starts?

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Thank you guys for your reply. The battery seemed fine, I have gotten "increased battery discharge" a few times on start up then it disappears. Also, had a few occasions where i had to reset my date and time because it said the battery was disconnected. But I've never had to jump it, and it always starts?
Yep, all suggests it is time for new battery.
First sign: time and date.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,273 Posts
Wait a sec...lets plan for success.

You X5 requires a specific battery type and size. It uses an "AGM" battery. This is important. Also, if you get the same size (capacity) you dont need to change th programming in the car to use the different AH rating. (You should get the new battery 'registered' but this isnt critical for right now.

Next, a new battery on the shelf may in fact be somewhat run down and discharged. Ideally you should fully charge it with an AGM battery charger. Next best is to install it and drive the car for hours. (30 minutes to grandmas wont do it) Be careful, standard 'fast chargers' can kill an AGM battery.

So, new battery, fully charged...installed in your car- see how that works.

Now, if that works, but in a week you have the same issues, it points to a failing/intermittent Alternator. (Dont worry, the battery isnt a wasted effort, it usually gets killed by teh alt failing. Plus if it is over 5 years old it prolly is a good idea.)

Report back

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The battery that is on file at the auto parts store specifically for my x5 4.8i would fit all those specs correct?? I have a friend behind the counter for deals. Thank god.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,273 Posts
The battery that is on file at the auto parts store specifically for my x5 4.8i would fit all those specs correct?? I have a friend behind the counter for deals. Thank god.
It should. Depends on the store and how accurate their 'file' is....:dunno:

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Good. But do not forget that it needs to be charged properly before installing on slow charger (best is CTEK). Then whe you install it and register it, drive few hours like ard suggested.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
How long do you guys advise on the slow charger or what voltage is proper charge?
CTEK has preprogramed AGM mode I think, it should tell you when it is full.
I have battery tender that charges at 3A. You should not charge AGM too fast. Probably there are numerous threads online about this.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If your friend works at a parts store, I'd ask if they maintain the charge state while batteries on on their shelves. A good parts store will, at least a few do around here in Minneapolis. A Walmart or such? Doubtful.

Might save you a couple of hours of charge time if that's the case.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,273 Posts
No codes?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts