BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the "Regulars" know I've got my M52 cammed,Sharked,M50 intake,headers,UUC catback,fan delete, and under drive pulleys. What've I've been reading into is the Porcshe 3.5" MAF upgrade. TMS sells the kit for 500 bucks comes with a converted harness, they say it's only intended for the OBDII M3. IE S52. Well since my M52 is more like an S52 at this point (in lieu of displacement) I'm wondering if I can't get my shark reprogrammed with the 3.5" tune for the 2.8L and run larger injectors. Or am I just wasting my time and i should keep the stock MAF/HFM? As it stands right now, my MAF is pretty cruddy, i've got the typical poopy idle and hesitation associated with it. The way I figure, why just replace if I can upgrade.

·
Turn Burglar
12,282 Posts
I don't know the first thing about a Porsche MAF specifically, but absolutely get some Ford/SVT/Bosch/Cobra whatever injectors (550# I think?) and do the 3.5" MAF conversion with a custom tune from TRM or some other reputable shop that knows early Bosch FI systems.

Sidenote: If you go with a BMW MAF, the 3.5" MAF from the S50B30 is a few bucks more, but functions far better in the 6-cyl engines than the 540i 3.5" MAF. It has something to do with the voltage curve of the 540i MAF being optimized for the 8-cyl engine.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the reason why the Porsche maf is used it has a stable curve or some crap...

"This 3.5" HFM is used in our OBD-II Performance Packages on the 1996-1999 E36 M3 (and MZ3 S52). This is a Plug & Play and seamless kit built using a Porsche HFM, custom wiring harness adapter, and harness mounting bracket. This HFM is preferred because it has a greater resolution and reads larger quantities of air more precisely than the 540 or Euro M3 HFMs. We have put together this kit to be completely reversible and plug and play using factory plugs and connectors. It requires no splicing or modification of your stock connector harness, avoidng the pitfalls that can come from exposing your factory wiring. Using this without the harness will require you to bridge the grounds of the factory harness together in order for the HFM to send the correct signals to the computer."

That's from TMS. So I guess whichever way I go is a good way. I've got a few friends with old fox mustangs im trying to snag some blue top injectors for cheap.

·
Turn Burglar
12,282 Posts
That's the reason why the Porsche maf is used it has a stable curve or some crap...

"This 3.5" HFM is used in our OBD-II Performance Packages on the 1996-1999 E36 M3 (and MZ3 S52). This is a Plug & Play and seamless kit built using a Porsche HFM, custom wiring harness adapter, and harness mounting bracket. This HFM is preferred because it has a greater resolution and reads larger quantities of air more precisely than the 540 or Euro M3 HFMs. We have put together this kit to be completely reversible and plug and play using factory plugs and connectors. It requires no splicing or modification of your stock connector harness, avoidng the pitfalls that can come from exposing your factory wiring. Using this without the harness will require you to bridge the grounds of the factory harness together in order for the HFM to send the correct signals to the computer."

That's from TMS. So I guess whichever way I go is a good way. I've got a few friends with old fox mustangs im trying to snag some blue top injectors for cheap.
If that's from TMS I'd say go for it. Is it considerably more costly than a Euro M3 MAF kit?

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think if I include what'll cost to have a new tune loaded onto my shark it'll be a bit more.

·
Sexy Sax Man / Kebab Lord
6,521 Posts
Sidenote: If you go with a BMW MAF, the 3.5" MAF from the S50B30 is a few bucks more, but functions far better in the 6-cyl engines than the 540i 3.5" MAF. It has something to do with the voltage curve of the 540i MAF being optimized for the 8-cyl engine.
Fo' shizzle? :confused:

I had a euro maf then swapped it out for a e34 540 maf because the euro one was broke. :eek:

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All my research points to this swap only working on an OBDII M3 and not an obd 328I. I'm going to go ahead and assume that a tune written for an S52 isn't going to run so well...or at all on an M52? None of the TMS kits for the 328 mention my oversized shcrick cams, or injectors, or a MAF, or a tune written with all the aforementioned. I may try and send an email their way to see their take on it. but someone out there in E36 land must've done it to an m52 already.

·
Turn Burglar
12,282 Posts
All my research points to this swap only working on an OBDII M3 and not an obd 328I. I'm going to go ahead and assume that a tune written for an S52 isn't going to run so well...or at all on an M52? None of the TMS kits for the 328 mention my oversized shcrick cams, or injectors, or a MAF, or a tune written with all the aforementioned. I may try and send an email their way to see their take on it. but someone out there in E36 land must've done it to an m52 already.
Yeah, there are guys here in Atlanta with 3.5" MAF M52's. Unfortunately idk who did their tunes, but I'd assume TRM.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good info to have. at least i know it's possible. i just need to figure out the logistics. im sure i can get away with larger injectors without a tune. the maf is slowing down progress. I'm going to be at the Turner facility in march or april so i'll ask them about it in person

·
Turn Burglar
12,282 Posts
good info to have. at least i know it's possible. i just need to figure out the logistics. im sure i can get away with larger injectors without a tune. the maf is slowing down progress. I'm going to be at the Turner facility in march or april so i'll ask them about it in person
You absolutely can run the SVT Cobra injectors on stock software without the worry of hurting anything, but you'll probably lose power and your mpg will be destroyed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.