Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,053 Posts
http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/the-10-best-cars-that-nobody-buys?src=nld&mag=cdb&list=nl_dvr_news&date=DED050415#2
BMW 3-series sports wagon (2014 sales: 3687)

It's fitting that this list starts off with a station wagon. Like most enthusiasts, we love wagons with the same intensity with which the American car-buying public disdains them. With a lower center of gravity than an SUV or crossover, they have all the handling goodness of a sports sedan yet their expanded cargo hold adds an extra measure of practicality. Even when confronted with an example as excellent as the BMW 3-series Sports Wagon, U.S. shoppers stay away in droves, flocking instead to the X1 (which outsells the 3-series wagon by more than 5 to 1). BMW offers the longroof 3-series in two versions: gasoline-powered 328i and diesel-drinking 328d. Both add the xDrive appendage to their name, as they're sold with four driven wheels only. The 328i uses BMW's ubiquitous 2.0-liter turbo four, with 240 horsepower and 255 lb-ft. Working with the eight-speed automatic (the only gearbox available), it hustles the little hauler to 60 mph in 5.8 seconds. The 328d uses a turbo-diesel of the same displacement; its forte is fuel economy, with EPA ratings of 31/43 mpg (we can vouch for the highway figure, based on our experience with our long-termer). Either way, this wagon is a winner-in every aspect except sales.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Actually three and a half thousand isn't too bad. I hope that that is enough for the next generation to still keep the wagon. The numbers are low but looking at other models bmw keeps for the US it is not abysmal. I think th ed really is still enough there to keep the wagon profitable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Saw one at my dealer yesterday, as I was picking my car up. I like the color

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
IMO it's the best looking wagon BMW has made.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Audi sold 4,686 (-13%) Allroad wagons last year in the US. YTD thru April 853 (-34%). It's hard to tell if they will continue offering it here in the US with the upcoming new gen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I desperately searched for a wagon when I went to buy my 3 series, couldn't find one within a reasonable distance. It's a shame because it really is the best looking one they've done!

·
Porleau
1,489 Posts
My GF and I may be in the market for a 3 series wagon and wondering what kind of deals can be had. We would likely order, but if the dealer can put together a deal that beats a similarly equipped Volvo (roughly $5k cheaper MSRP), the GF may go for it. 3 years ago we looked at a 328it in the lot and the dealer blew me away with a lease offer. Way below my numbers. We couldn't make it work due to an issue selling her car back to the dealer, but this time around it could be worth a shot!

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I was looking for my F31 there were very few on the dealer lots so I ordered exactly what I wanted ( diesel, m-sport line, tech, summer tires, adaptive suspension and lighting, etc). It would be interesting to know the split between gas & diesel.

The 3er in Germany sells nearly 60% as the touring (our sport wagon) version. And near the same percentages as diesel vs gas.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am moving from a Saab 9-5 wagon and wanted another wagon--a true wagon with good cargo capacity, not a jacked-up crossover, and not a small hatchback "wagon". I had essentially two choices: BMW and Volkswagen. That's it for true wagons in the USA. Apparently not many Americans want to combine great driving dynamics with practicality. :dunno:

In the three months I've been considering an F31, I've seen exactly four of them not on dealer lots. But the local dealer did sell one of the three 328d's he had, so maybe I'll run across a 5th. One of those four was Metallic Bronze (didn't get close enough to see if it was gas or diesel) so also pretty rare.

Had to order mine, since there wasn't one within a thousand miles with DHP. So soon there'll be one more Mineral Grey/Oyster 328d xDrive Sportwagon out there. One in 3600 for 2015!

·
WagonMeister
152 Posts
Just came back from 15 days in Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. F31s are one of the most common cars in the wealthier cities I visited, but even more 5 series wagons and Audi A 6s, both equally handsome. Also a ton of the cheapest BMWS, the one with the stubby rear hatch. And then there is a fullsize Peugeot wagon that is arguably nicer looking than any of these. Most are diesels and manual. But I would estimate that half the BMWs, Audis and Mercedes in those countries are wagons. I understand our roads are different yada yada but will never understand the allure of a sedan over the same package in a wagon. I think the F31 is more attractive than the the F30, not to mention more practical. That's why I bought one.

Here's one in the lobby of the Welt..... ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1431000046.448034.jpg

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,053 Posts
My GF and I may be in the market for a 3 series wagon and wondering what kind of deals can be had. We would likely order, but if the dealer can put together a deal that beats a similarly equipped Volvo (roughly $5k cheaper MSRP), the GF may go for it. 3 years ago we looked at a 328it in the lot and the dealer blew me away with a lease offer. Way below my numbers. We couldn't make it work due to an issue selling her car back to the dealer, but this time around it could be worth a shot!
From what I've seen, the wagon prices are not too cheap. Consider a low mileage CPO Elite.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
The 3er in Germany sells nearly 60% as the touring (our sport wagon) version. And near the same percentages as diesel vs gas.
That's exactly what you get when you let people drive AND price fuel at 1.5 Euro/liter. It is normally quite a bit higher.

This just proves that nothing is really INHERENTLY bad - even sky high gas prices. There's definitely a silver lining in having very high gas prices. I'd pay $10/gallon and sign for it in a New York millisecond if that meant total disappearance of full-size and mid-size SUVs and pickup trucks from the US roads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts