BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Driving on instruments
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear view mirror is slowly oozing a clear, oily liquid down the center of my windshield. This has become much more prevalent since the temperatures increased. I've wiped it off a couple times now, only to have it slowly return every couple weeks. :dunno:

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is weird for sure.

I'd take a look at it. It sounds scary, but actually it is a very trivial issue to open and remove (and then easily reinstall) the hot-dog bun shaped plastic shroud behind the mirror which snugs up against the windshield. A credit card to slip into the middle seam is the only 'tool' required. I easily opened mine to install a 'mirror tap' power connection for my Passport 9500ix. Search for the 'radar detector mirror tap install' threads in this forum which have pictures of doing this.

good luck

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I think they have antibiotics for that now...:eek:

·
Driving on instruments
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My leak is very slow and only affects the windshield. I visited the dealer yesterday and they ordered an entire rain sensor and advised me a mobile glass shop is going to install it.

They also took a look at my horns. The high side failed completely and the low side is pathetic and weak. I had to honk at someone who barged into my lane without signaling, and I don't think I quite got my point across. In the event the OEM horns ever fail again, I'll just install some Hella Supertones and call it a day.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
My leak is very slow and only affects the windshield. I visited the dealer yesterday and they ordered an entire rain sensor and advised me a mobile glass shop is going to install it.

They also took a look at my horns. The high side failed completely and the low side is pathetic and weak. I had to honk at someone who barged into my lane without signaling, and I don't think I quite got my point across. In the event the OEM horns ever fail again, I'll just install some Hella Supertones and call it a day.
Hmmmmm. Maybe you could have phrased that better. :eeps:

·
Evil cider brewer
22,845 Posts
I know the goo in the mirror used for dimming is corrosive to the interior, not sure about the rain sensor gel. Sounds like the rain sensor if it's dripping down the windshield.
I knew the mirror was full of goo. Didn't know about the rain sensor. Good info here!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.