Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know big difference in size but as for looks, both look great. I do like a bigger car admittedly, but the decision is between a 2016 750 or a 2018 540 - both HAVE to have the M package (my last 2011 750 had it, loved it). Anyone here care to chime in on their experiences with the 540ix? Obviously, pound for pound, I'll get more value out of the 540 with the warranty lasting longer... And I'm assuming that BMW has gotten better in terms of reliability (?) - I recall spending quite a bit of time getting to know my service guy when I had the 2011...

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The 2018 540 is only about 5 inches shorter and 1 inch narrower than the 2011 750. For that tiny amount of shrinkage, you will get a better handling car with better weight distribution than you would get in the 2016 7 series. Also, BMW put most of the newer tech in the 5 series but updated from the older 7 series.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've owned 8 BMWs and actually sold them for about 7 years in my early retirement period. I have also owned Audis and Mercedes. The Audis were great cars, but I always thought the BMWs felt lighter and more nimble than the Audis. I have personally always been more fond of the 5 series cars because I found them to be better handling than the 7 series cars and not so ponderous. They are also big enough for me inside--I feel a little confined in my wife's 328xi. The most noticeable benefit of the longer 7 series cars is more rear seat legroom, but the current G30 5 series cars certainly seem to have adequate legroom for rear seat passengers. No complaints so far. And I don't ride in the back much, although I have ridden in the back of others' G30 and never had a legroom issue. Since these all are complicated cars, I think you are right to consider the warranty available. I would suggest that if you like the G30 enough, that you go for the newer 540 instead of the two year older 7 series. If you can get it from a dealer Certified, so much the better as it adds some additional warranty coverage. And both the 7 and 5 series cars ride very nicely. We just completed a 3,500 mile driving trip to Florida and back and the 540xi was extremely comfortable to ride in. If you are looking at used cars there are a lot of M Sport versions of the 5 series out there; don't know if you will find as many M Sports in the 7 series, as the typical buyers are more interested in more sedate cruisers. But I am sure there are some out there. Best idea is go to a dealer and ride in both cars to see how you like them. Good luck with your decision--Bob

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gang! I appreciate the input. Alas, turns out I'm more underwater than I thought on my Audi, so I'll hold off a year and see what happens.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks gang! I appreciate the input. Alas, turns out I'm more underwater than I thought on my Audi, so I'll hold off a year and see what happens.
Out of curiosity, how did you find out? I always suggest a trip to CarMax for a real cash offer before going to a dealer for a trade evaluation. Have the CarMax sheet in your pocket so if the dealer is lower you can show them they will usually match it. Also, I see you have been looking at used cars but dealers are most interested in selling (or leasing) new ones and will probably cough up more on a trade to get you into a new one and the finance rates are usually better. Depending on when you buy you can often get a very good deal (like now on a leftover 2018 or even a 2019 if a dealer's inventory is high. Lastly, you can always lease one and not have to worry about being under water next time. Just a few thoughts. Wouldn't want you to give up too easily on that BMW--Bob

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a few dealers give me estimates on the car without seeing it, and honestly, my car has a few cosmetic issues, so it won't get much better in person. As for leasing, I'd like to, when I can get out from being underwater, but the other issue is that I drive at least 20k miles per year, and that kills the lease payments when I have to buy the extra miles in the beginning, which is cheaper than waiting until the end. And most dealers now won't roll your mileage overage into the next lease from what i've noticed.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I've never understood why people think they should not lease do to high miles. You are still going to take a resale hit when you go to trade a high mileage car. With leasing you are just spreading the resale hit over the term of the lease, and at least you know what the hit is!

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Payments on a lease would be well over $1200 a month, much cheaper to purchase the car instead for me. And yes, of course it's used so it'll be less money.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,636 Posts
Payments on a lease would be well over $1200 a month, much cheaper to purchase the car instead for me. And yes, of course it's used to it'll be less money.
Didn't you go through this same process on here about a year ago? And at that time weren't you so underwater on your loan that you were forced to keep the Audi?

I "get" that the monthly payment on a 3 year lease is going to be more than the monthly payment on a (6 year? 8 year?) car loan, but you're locked in to a car that you don't like, can't get out of, and you're likely to be facing some serious repair bills before you can get that albatross away from your neck.

It's a false assumption to think your current modus operandi is costing you less than $1,200 a month. From your vanity plate, I assume you're doing criminal defense work. If the cash flow isn't there, maybe you should set your sights lower than a 5 series? Either that or find some richer criminals to defend?

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hah! need more criminals, that's for sure. Finally found a dealer that's willing to give much close to what i owe on the Audi...we'll see what actually transpires. And didn't the CPO on a BMW used to be 2 years after original warranty? I could swear it was when I bought my 2011 750...maybe i'm misremembering...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hah! need more criminals, that's for sure. Finally found a dealer that's willing to give much close to what i owe on the Audi...we'll see what actually transpires. And didn't the CPO on a BMW used to be 2 years after original warranty? I could swear it was when I bought my 2011 750...maybe i'm misremembering...
That is what I remember, but its been a few years since I worked at the dealer. Things change, like the shorter and non-transferable free maintenance. Seems like Certified is one year now, but as always you can buy longer versions. Here's the thumbnail from the BMW website:

"When you choose a BMW Certified vehicle, you***8217;ll have ultimate assurance with our BMW Certified Limited Warranty. It provides comprehensive coverage for every BMW Certified vehicle for 1 year with unlimited miles after the expiration of the 4 year / 50,000 mile BMW New Vehicle / SAV Limited Warranty. Additional plans are available to extend your vehicle***8217;s coverage. With the inclusion of 24/7 travel protection through BMW Roadside Assistance, the BMW Certified program is designed to give you complete confidence throughout every step of your BMW Certified journey."

If you go for an additional extended warranty, I always recommend getting a BMW warranty (not the aftermarket ones) and get the highest level of coverage. There is some negotiating room with warranties as the markups are quite substantial. --Bob

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just read earlier today that the maintenance is non-transferable, which sucks. Thanks for the advice Bob - got a nice offer from another BMW dealer on an 18 540ix w/M package and 4k miles on it, fully loaded. might check it out. I really want the 2016 750iX w/M package but for the same money, I think the 540 is a smarter decision

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going to look at a 540 lease now. Every option on it

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! I loathe buying/leasing cars...

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just drove a non-M. Still fun. Pulls really well. Love the blue M brake calipers.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got the car! 2019 540iX M package and every other package you could think of! but no rear sunscreen, which i do miss. even has massaging seats. love it so far, very quick, pulls hard. i'll have to figure out how to use most of it tomorrow, thanks for all the help! ended up leasing it for 36 months with 16k miles a year.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Thanks! I loathe buying/leasing cars...
It's my favorite thing to do. I generally know what the deal will be before I go in.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
got the car! 2019 540iX M package and every other package you could think of! but no rear sunscreen, which i do miss. even has massaging seats. love it so far, very quick, pulls hard. i'll have to figure out how to use most of it tomorrow, thanks for all the help! ended up leasing it for 36 months with 16k miles a year.
Congratulations. If you own your own practice like me, you can deduct a good portion of the lease expenses including extra miles.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do have my own practice and wink wink, have always deducted my car payments...my accountant is "special"...but now, it's legit! I won't mod this car much since it's a lease but I think I'll paint the exhaust tips gloss black and maybe a small lip spoiler for the trunk to beef it up a little, looks kinda naked back there...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts