BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I'm new here, never owned a BMW or any European car for that matter, the Australian market is kinda saturated with Asian brands for the most part, so I don't have much experience with them at all. Recently my car has begun to die and I've started looking at a replacement, I've been looking at everything but I came across an E92 325i that looks pretty good, but again I have no idea if these models are particularly reliable or not, how much parts are, service costs etc. I was wanting any opinions/personal experience that any of you have with these particular cars.

Here is the link to the ad for the car I'm talking about:

Thanks for your time everyone.

EDIT:
I’m definitely not paying what he’s asking, probably would have offered $17k-18k (AUD)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new here, never owned a BMW or any European car for that matter, the Australian market is kinda saturated with Asian brands for the most part, so I don't have much experience with them at all. Recently my car has begun to die and I've started looking at a replacement, I've been looking at everything but I came across an E92 325i that looks pretty good, but again I have no idea if these models are particularly reliable or not, how much parts are, service costs etc. I was wanting any opinions/personal experience that any of you have with these particular cars.

Here is the link to the ad for the car I'm talking about:

Thanks for your time everyone.
The engine in that car is an N52B25 (i believe), one of the more reliable BMW engines. Common problems on it, Waterpump failure (80-100k miles), Valve cover gasket leaking along with oil filter housing gasket leaking (since it’s age probably already occurring/replaced). Few more but those are the ones that will happen at some point. Overall a good car. One guy on the forum has an N52 with 400k miles. If you’ll work on it yourself it’s a great car, if not it’s still viable just have a good indy shop. It’ll require more work than a camry or accord but overall for what it is, it’s a reliable vehicle

·
Registered
75 Posts
They're very reliable. Parts are dirt cheap and easy to perform scheduled service items, easier than a Commodore in many cases - I import all my 750i stuff from FCP Euro. My major service and rear brake pads burned through a grand total of AUD1k.

Also, you're looking at a car at double Redbook price, expiring rego. Are you mad??

Buy a 335i at auction for half that. Or an F generation 750i or 550i for that money or less.

Accept that they're going to have things wrong with them that will cost a few $. The 750i had the usual: broken seat, brake pads, turbo coolant pump, dud spark plugs and Y junction. The Y junction will piss me off, as the alternator has to come out. But it's going to be $300 total for the bits and my $16k saving soothed the pain of seeing the leaky Y. I also threw in coils because there was a misfire and it was $US195 for 8.

IM me if you want to talk about where I buy them locally (nearest state capital).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're very reliable. Parts are dirt cheap and easy to perform scheduled service items, easier than a Commodore in many cases - I import all my 750i stuff from FCP Euro. My major service and rear brake pads burned through a grand total of AUD1k.

Also, you're looking at a car at double Redbook price, expiring rego. Are you mad??

Buy a 335i at auction for half that. Or an F generation 750i or 550i for that money or less.

Accept that they're going to have things wrong with them that will cost a few $. The 750i had the usual: broken seat, brake pads, turbo coolant pump, dud spark plugs and Y junction. The Y junction will piss me off, as the alternator has to come out. But it's going to be $300 total for the bits and my $16k saving soothed the pain of seeing the leaky Y. I also threw in coils because there was a misfire and it was $US195 for 8.

IM me if you want to talk about where I buy them locally (nearest state capital).
Hahaha, yeah I wasn’t about to pay that, if I did go through with it I would have offered probably something like $17k-$18k. I will IM you

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,740 Posts
I have no idea how to IM, I feel so old hahaha
Click on a users name then click on send message.

What the **** is the exchange rate? That car around here wouldn't get half that much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
gotta be fake, the wheel is on the wrong side in the pics.

17k feels steep, but its petty clean. Depending on your local market that might make sense to you, idk. Sorry trying to unlock my PM privileges

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,512 Posts
Glad Wog popped in.... what works for me in California is MASSIVELY differnt that you in New Zealand. Both prices wise and service wise..... Even worse if you are out of the way. A part I can get for $100 in 48 hours might be $300 and two weeks for you....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glad Wog popped in.... what works for me in California is MASSIVELY differnt that you in New Zealand. Both prices wise and service wise..... Even worse if you are out of the way. A part I can get for $100 in 48 hours might be $300 and two weeks for you....
NZ prices are twice as high again.

I buy all my OEM goods from Connecticut. It’s still a quarter of my local dealer prices after shipping. With better warranties. I did some rather minor work on my 750i and then priced dealer prices. It would have cost as much as the car!

Wait till you see what a Tesla costs here.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My son bought an 08 328i, 6MT as his first car a couple years ago.

It is at 197k miles now and the N52 runs smooth and strong, transmission feels good.
As was mentioned the N52 engine is very reliable.
It is other components that will likely fail faster than what you would likely experience with Toyota/Honda.

Don’t know what shops charge there, but IMO repair costs can make it a poor economic proposal if you will be taking it to a shop for all service and repairs.
Although the vehicle price difference between there and the US may means it makes more sense as it appears to have a lot more value retained.

My son paid $3,500 for his, it was high mileage but very well maintained and in good cosmetic condition inside and out.
With lots of recent cooling work done.
At the price he paid it wouldn’t take long for repair bills at a shop to be more than the cost of the car.

He has done some cosmetic upgrades, all new exterior lights and grill.
And he bought a BMW specific OBD scanner. Not as good as a laptop with software, but still can do a lot and has come in handy.

Since he’s owned it we’ve replaced all fluids, new battery, shift bushing kit, new spark plugs, new coil packs (one bad causing a misfire but replaced them all), new starter (and intake/throttle body gaskets), power steering pulley bolts ( 2 of the 3 bolts had started backing out and caused it to wobble and started shredding the belt, but caught it in time), serpentine belt (tensioner and pulleys), new radiator fan, valve cover gasket.

After we finished the valve cover gasket it was running rough and gave me a scare. Plugged in the scanner and it showed a misfire. Disconnected/reconnected the wiring connector to that coil pack and it ran perfectly again.
Scanner also diagnosed the misfire with the bad coil pack, swapped that coil pack to another cylinder and the misfire moved to that cyclinder.
And it registered the battery to the car.
Dealer/mechanic would have charged a pretty penny to do those 3 simple tasks.

Probably well over $5000 worth of work done to the car if performed by a BMW specialized mechanic.
But just the cost of parts doing it ourselves, most purchased from FCP Euro for much cheaper than buying from the dealer.

Most of the work we’ve done I would not consider complex (if you are somewhat mechanically inclined) and there are lots of instructions/help for these cars available online.
But it can be tedious depending on the job, as there can be a lot of things of things to remove to get to the part needing repaired.

However, if you love to drive.
Curvy backroads at a fast pace type of driving.
I think you will be extremely happy with the driving experience if you are used to driving Asian sedans.

Sure there are faster and better driving/handling BMW’s but they also probably cost more.
I’ve owned an 01 Lexus IS300, 03 Infiniti G35, 10 Hyundai Genesis 4.6L, for “sporty” sedans.
The G35 and Genesis were faster in a straight line.
But the E90 is hands down a much better, more engaging, and more pleasurable driving experience than those 3 when pushing it on a twisty road, taking a sweeping (or tight) entrance ramp at a high speed, and maneuvering quickly through traffic.

And if you did buy it and wanted a bit more power.
You can get a 3 stage intake manifold (coupled with a tune) that originally came on other BMW models with the N52 engine.
Fairly easy to get in the US, but may vary by country.

Car Tire Plant Window Grille
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Window
Aircraft Engineering Machine Auto part Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold Auto part
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Automotive tire Trigger Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

1 - 14 of 14 Posts