BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent some time reviewing SSKs recently and am *considering* the Rogue OCTANE SSK for my M3. I was wondering if you have a deal with Ben similar to your deal with Rob.

In other words, are you a Rogue Pimp too?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
TD said:
I spent some time reviewing SSKs recently and am *considering* the Rogue OCTANE SSK for my M3. I was wondering if you have a deal with Ben similar to your deal with Rob.

Well, you know the special "relationship" Ben and Rob used to have...

I don't have the same priviledges. Stay tuned...I asked Ben for a new Rogue shifter to test, he promised he'd send one out when one is available...Maybe I can ask him about offering everyone some sort of discount as well, after I write an article for him. :dunno:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Hey HACK- Do you have access to special pricing at Rogue?

The HACK said:

Well, you know the special "relationship" Ben and Rob used to have...

I don't have the same priviledges. Stay tuned...I asked Ben for a new Rogue shifter to test, he promised he'd send one out when one is available...Maybe I can ask him about offering everyone some sort of discount as well, after I write an article for him. :dunno:
It might all be nothing but BS, but Ben's website is kinda convincing, especially his SSK vs Rob's (which had been the no-brainer chocie for anyone not willing to spring for the ACS kit).

As always, keep us informed.

BTW, I plan to give my wife your email addy just in case she elects to get me any UUC stuff for Christmas.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Hey HACK- Do you have access to special pricing at Rogue?

TD said:

...snip...

BTW, I plan to give my wife your email addy just in case she elects to get me any UUC stuff for Christmas.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

RE: Rogue SSK v. UUC SSK, I have NOT had any experience with the Rogue kit so I can't really comment on that. The reason why the ACS kit is so damn IMPRESSIVE is not the fact that it's using remanufacturerd stock knobs, but the fact that the effort reducing cup is BUILT-IN to the shift carrier arm (completely redesigned, new shift carrier arm). That along will eliminate 90% of your noise and rattle. If I had to do it all over again, it would still be a toss up between the UUC kit and the Rogue kit...Only reason being I like the nice solid aluminum ball. The street EVO II kit does not require the ERK thus I would prefer the UUC kit for that, and the Rogue kit for the Competition EVO II level.

You can always get the best of both worlds by using the Rogue wsr and the UUC competition EVO II kit. Since Ben actually engineered the UUC kit AND the Rogue kit, I would put my faith behind both product 100%. :thumbup:

·
fahrer
1,387 Posts
TD said:

Why?

Just wondering why you're leaning towards RE over the others.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I wanna get HACK's opinions since he spent more time with that CFO guy at TS3.5, but I was very interested in B&M's upcoming product.

I don't remember CFO Guy's name (says he drives a E39) but we talked for some time about B&M's interest and strategy for BMWs, as well as current products in the market (strengths, weaknesses, etc.) and about the engineering samples he brought along.

I dunno how much I should talk about it, considering its developmental nature, but from what I saw of it, I think it has the potential of being a real competitive product. They've done some actual new engineering with this as opposed to everybody else who's adapted and improved on the existing BMW bits, and as such I think have possibly solved some of the issues with the existing products.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Kaz said:
I wanna get HACK's opinions since he spent more time with that CFO guy at TS3.5, but I was very interested in B&M's upcoming product.

I don't remember CFO Guy's name (says he drives a E39) but we talked for some time about B&M's interest and strategy for BMWs, as well as current products in the market (strengths, weaknesses, etc.) and about the engineering samples he brought along.

I dunno how much I should talk about it, considering its developmental nature, but from what I saw of it, I think it has the potential of being a real competitive product. They've done some actual new engineering with this as opposed to everybody else who's adapted and improved on the existing BMW bits, and as such I think have possibly solved some of the issues with the existing products.
His name is Steve.

I'm going to install it this weekend. Interestingly, I had a blast talking with Steve on the way home. He gave me some finer points of turbocharging and supercharging...And the horror stories about either on NA cars you just wouldn't believe. All those guys putting in blowers in their cars right now are all just a blown engine/disaster waiting to happen. B&M used to do SC and TC development but ultimately gave up, and with more and more cars coming with proprietary engine managment software it's increasingly difficult to develope a good, reliable blower.

Anyway, I've been so damn busy the last two weeks I haven't even had time to take it out of the box yet. B&M is the premier "tuner" for American Muscle cars so I think this is going to be a fine product. I'll invite him to TS 4.0 too.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Did he give you their existing non-isolated model, the engineering sample he had that day, or a new sample with the bent rod and possibly even the height adjustment we talked to him about?

I'm particularly interested in seeing whether or not their version of the ERK works.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
I have both...Obviously I can't install both at the same time, if you're interested you can stop by to pick up the older version while I test out the new version?

Exciting times man. Love being a guinee pig. :thumbup:

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
The HACK said:

Interestingly, I had a blast talking with Steve on the way home. He gave me some finer points of turbocharging and supercharging...And the horror stories about either on NA cars you just wouldn't believe. All those guys putting in blowers in their cars right now are all just a blown engine/disaster waiting to happen.
I'd love to hear more about this... why is it such a disaster waiting to happen? How come we haven't heard many (any?) horror stories?

(Well, possibly if people are dropping $6k on an SC for their E46, only to have it blow the motor, they might not want to advertise it... but still...)

Not to grill you or anything... I'm just genuinely curious.

·
10,856 Posts
I thought Chukiechz upgraded to a 3.2 because his s/c blew his 2.5. :p

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I thought Chukiechz upgraded to a 3.2 because his s/c blew his 2.5. :p
Really? Got a link? Can I assume "Chuckiechz" is over in Fanatics land?

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
Plaz said:

Really? Got a link? Can I assume "Chuckiechz" is over in Fanatics land?
He posts here and on bimmerforums.com; I am not sure whether he posts on fanatics. Just do a search for his name.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Hey Plaz, you seem to have a shot from a Toadfly thread in one of your sig pics...:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts