BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up an old Ford Ranger, circa 1983. Has a 2.3L four banger, four speed - true truck gearing too, let me tell you! Just got it to have a beater around the house. :)

Anywho - she runs pretty well, but I've noticed it lags a bit after you press on the gas. It will go faster, but it feels like it starts to drink the gas and go, then almost like its 'inhibited' a bit past the first ramp up of the pedal. :confused:

Don't think its the catalytic converter, as there is no egg smell, plus no throaty exhaust.

Sound like timing is a bit retarded? Perhaps dirty carb?

Ideas?? :dunno:

·
Banned
0 Posts
Is it carbureted?

Doh just read your whole post. Yes check the carb and air filter first. Then pull the plugs and see whats going on.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New air filter, he *said* he put new plugs in it - will check that out. As to the carb, methinks its almost just as easy to plop a new one on.

Um, no, just looked up the price of a new/rebuilt - Starts at $200, hmm, howzbout a rebuild kit? Ahh, there we go - ~$30. :)

Worst case I rebuild the carb I figger.

Will certainly check out fuel delivery - does remind me of a filter that flows until there's undue pressure, then chokes out a bit.

Thanks guys! :wave:

·
Analyst + Therapist = ...
8,102 Posts
you will need this site!

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.htm

Also,

you'll love the term

F ound
O n
R oad
D ead

I grew up with Ford

If the timing belt is loose you'll get hesitation as well

Start with a full tune-up, including timing and filters (gas)

Then carb rebuild

1 - 6 of 6 Posts