BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever regret getting your 5'er instead of E9X?

I've owned them both so I totally get the lux car with sport vs sportier car with lux comparo..

Been looking at 335 and 535 and while the 5'er feels "just right", I'm afraid I might get bored after 6 mos of not having a more "tossable" car.

Hence my wanting to get some input from those of you who made the switch. Last time I owned a 5 was an E39 540 6mt with Dinan Stage 2 which I ended-up trading for M3..

That was about 4 years ago -- and I'm 48 now -- maybe that's why those few extra interior inches in the 5er are so appealing :dunno:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know this may sound silly to some, but I came very close to buying a new Honda Accord as a daily driver, along with a used 2007 Cayman for weekend fun. After much consideration I bought a new 2008 535xi. The Bimmer was $60K and the the 2 car approach would have been about the same. I hope I made the right decision.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have owned an e21, e30, e36 and an e46 (last two being M3's). Currently have an e60. I chose the e60 because it's still a driver's car and the extra room comes in handy.

The M3 was primarily being used to shuttle the kids back and forth to school. Do I miss it, of course for sure. Perhaps in the near future, I'll get the e9x M3. But at a depreciation hit.

So far, I have no regrets (almost by a shallow margin). Time will tell.

·
Running around in circles
3,638 Posts
I know this may sound silly to some, but I came very close to buying a new Honda Accord as a daily driver, along with a used 2007 Cayman for weekend fun. After much consideration I bought a new 2008 535xi. The Bimmer was $60K and the the 2 car approach would have been about the same. I hope I made the right decision.
As nice as the 5er is, speaking for myself, I would have gone the 2 car approach. P-car *drool* and the fact that the Accord has great gas mileage. With $4/gal gas around the corner that in itself is very appealing.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I think it's mind over matter; both the 3- and the 5-series drive great. There are very few peope who can push these cars to their limits where aerodynamics, size, center of gravity, etc. will make a difference in the driving experience.

Oh, and 48 is way too old to be driving a 3-series anyway. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
In real world driving in the states here I don't think the 335i is going to out perform the 535i or vice versa on daily driving. Obiviously you want the sport package. If you need the space go for the 5 if not stick with the 3.

Not sure if it makes a difference to you but it does for some people is the 5 series is higher up on the food chain of high society.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I went from an '06 330Xi to an '08 535Xi, with no looking back. I think both are great cars, although with different personalities.

With one big caveat, I could enjoy either one, but definitely prefer the 5 over the 3.

The big caveat, which was the catalyst for trading in my 3 for the 5, was the occasional harshness and unavoidable hard hits in the 3 (I think the RFTs were a big part of the problem). I like firm, but not harsh. I found driving the 3 over the roads in my area was causing me to tense up and slow down every time I saw a road irregularity at the expense of enjoying the driving pleasure of the car.

Bruce

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't know. I went from an E46 M3 convertible to an '06 550i and had many of the same reservations you have. After driving the 500i for 2 years I decided to lease another. The car handles, drives and accelerates like nothing else. The ARS really makes the car feel nimble and it absolutely handles better then my M3. Not sure if would out handle an M3 coupe.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know. I went from an E46 M3 convertible to an '06 550i and had many of the same reservations you have. After driving the 500i for 2 years I decided to lease another. The car handles, drives and accelerates like nothing else. The ARS really makes the car feel nimble and it absolutely handles better then my M3. Not sure if would out handle an M3 coupe.
I am glad to hear the 5'er still feels nimble and gives you some driving excitment. My M3 was a cab too - so I was particularly interested in what you had to say.

I'm sure that V8 doesn't hurt the experience either :D

Appreciate everyone's input...Can't wait to get back in the bimmer club when the 09's come out...

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
I don't think that you'll regret the move to a 5. I really enjoy the extra comfort and space. The handling of the 5 is a close match to the 3, and the ride is much more comfortable.

Don't pass on ZSP or the comfort seats.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Very true. I had a 335iA Sport and although I loved the car for what it offered, I missed the luxury ride of the 5. For me, the 3 is on the pure performance end, the 7 is on the pure luxury end and the 5 is spot on in the middle. It's a performance car when you want it to be and it's a luxury car when you want it to be. The 5er is my favorite bmw and I have driven and owned all three, 3,5,7.

·
Make Their Ass Quit!
1,281 Posts
I went from an 04 330i with the Performance Package to an 07 530i with Sport pkg. I sometimes miss the smaller 3 series from a pure driving dynamics standpoint, but the 5 series is so comfortable. The comfort seats are amazing. It's a tough call. I don't really need the extra space with both of my kids in college (I'm 48 also, by the way). I don't know what I will do when my lease is up in February. One thing I highly recommend though, no matter which BMW you decide on, is always get the manual transmission.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went from an 04 330i with the Performance Package to an 07 530i with Sport pkg. I sometimes miss the smaller 3 series from a pure driving dynamics standpoint, but the 5 series is so comfortable. The comfort seats are amazing. It's a tough call. I don't really need the extra space with both of my kids in college (I'm 48 also, by the way). I don't know what I will do when my lease is up in February. One thing I highly recommend though, no matter which BMW you decide on, is always get the manual transmission.
Really?? I was very much leaning toward sport auto with paddles (or DCT) if it becomes available in '09's...

·
Make Their Ass Quit!
1,281 Posts
Really?? I was very much leaning toward sport auto with paddles (or DCT) if it becomes available in '09's...
I just find the stick much more fun to drive. I have driven an automatic 325i/330i (E46), 335i (E90), X3, and 525i/530i (E60) and just didn't like it. There's just something about accelerating up to 6k rpm in 2nd gear and then pushing the clutch in and quickly shifting that stick over to 3rd gear then punching it again, that is really exhilarating. I don't think the paddle shifters would give me the same thrill. I'm lucky, though, in that I live in a rural area where I can do this everyday on my ride to/from work. :)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
There are several options you can´t get on the 3er Series, such as HUD and anthrazit headliner, which you can get on the 5er Series.

I´ve had multiple 3ers and 5ers (I have one of each now) and while the 3er is a bit more engaging, ultimately, I like the 550i best.

·
Registered
884 Posts
if you do any long distance driving you'll regret not have the 5 series. both at good cars but the 5 and 6 are far better for long distance drives. after driving for 10hrs you'll get out of the 3 with a jittery feeling. the 5/6 dont have it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I think the E60 has a much nicer interior than the E90. The E39 was nicer than the E46 too but the difference was much smaller. The E90 interior feels a bit cheap to me, the E46 did not. The E60 rides much better than the E90 and doesn't give up much in handling or perfomance IMHO.

If you have the $, the E60 is a much better car IMHO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts