Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not even Razz, TD or ff get THIS opinionated...ok, well maybe Razz :D

Wheels within wheels – new book damns 4WDs ... and their owners
By Bob Jennings
The Sun-Herald
Monday September 23 2002

Commentators in the US are comparing a new book that is highly critical of four-wheel drives, big utes and their owners with Ralph Nader's landmark 1965 publication, Unsafe At Any Speed.
already has four-wheel-drive manufacturers, buyers and even government departments squirming or reaching for their lawyers and spin doctors.

Written by The New York Times correspondent Keith Bradsher, it targets the four-wheel-drive sport-utility vehicle (SUV) phenomenon that he claims is killing thousands of people and wrecking the environment.

Detroit Free Press columnist Tom Walsh wrote: "Do you drive an SUV? If so, don't read the next quote with food in your mouth. Here's what Bradsher writes about SUV buyers: 'They tend to be people who are insecure and vain. They are frequently nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centred and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbours or communities'."

Walsh said Bradsher's favourite word to describe SUVs is "menacing", which he uses nine times in one five-page passage discussing the alleged kill-or-be-killed psychology of SUV drivers.

Bradsher was Detroit bureau chief for The New York Times from 1996 to 2001 and now runs the paper's Hong Kong bureau.

In an interview with Walsh, Bradsher predicted that deaths and injuries would multiply as older-model used SUVs were purchased and driven by teenagers.

The introduction to Bradsher's book claims that the big vehicles "roll over too easily, killing and injuring occupants at an alarming rate, and are dangerous to other road users, inflicting catastrophic damage to cars that they hit and posing a lethal threat to pedestrians".

In response, the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, an industry trade group, has hired [email protected], the nation's largest automotive public affairs/public relations firm, to gather information to contest the crash data, fuel economy and other claims.

Walsh says Bradsher faces a daunting task to convince the American public that its big recreational vehicles are a huge menace, when the overall rate of road deaths has dropped by 50 percent since the mid-1980s, at a time when sales of SUVs increased by 600 percent.

However, at the same time as the book is hitting the streets comes another shot at the big recreational vehicle market, this time from the Union of Concerned Scientists, which claims that while pick-up trucks accounted for just 20 percent of US vehicle sales, six of the 10 biggest "gas guzzlers" were pick-ups.

The study looked at the 50 most popular pick-up trucks and cars, and found Dodge Ram owners paid the most for fuel, with an average petrol bill of $US1468 ($2682) a year.

Based on an average distance of about 24,000km a year, it claims the Honda Accord, the most popular passenger car in the US, costs $847 a year.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I love SUV-bashing, and I agree with everything this article has to say. I am in no way, shape, or form politically correct, so I have no problems speaking my mind. SUV owners are either insecure women who can't drive worth a s--- or they are insecure men who have 2 inches with a h---o-.

The rudeness of these people never cease to amaze me. They'll cut you off because they know you're not going to try to challenge them unless you have a deathwish.

And as for the environmental issues, there are so many problems with SUVs I'm not even sure where to start. Obviously, the jokers who drive these monstrosities subscribe to the philosophy of "The Environment: Who Cares." [This barbaric view is sadly perpetuated by our esteemed president--whom I less affectionately call, "The Dumbass."]

I just find it hard to believe that people exist who carry no qualms about driving vehicles that get 15 miles to the gallon and can crush other cars in even minor accidents. It's just amazing!

I'm getting disgusted, so I'm gonna stop ranting.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
doctorD said:
I love SUV-bashing, and I agree with everything this article has to say. I am in no way, shape, or form politically correct, so I have no problems speaking my mind. SUV owners are either insecure women who can't drive worth a s--- or they are insecure men who have 2 inches with a h---o-.

The rudeness of these people never cease to amaze me. They'll cut you off because they know you're not going to try to challenge them unless you have a deathwish.

And as for the environmental issues, there are so many problems with SUVs I'm not even sure where to start. Obviously, the jokers who drive these monstrosities subscribe to the philosophy of "The Environment: Who Cares." [This barbaric view is sadly perpetuated by our esteemed president--whom I less affectionately call, "The Dumbass."]

I just find it hard to believe that people exist who carry no qualms about driving vehicles that get 15 miles to the gallon and can crush other cars in even minor accidents. It's just amazing!

I'm getting disgusted, so I'm gonna stop ranting.
I agree 100%.

And I bet they're all French, too!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: Re: Hhmmm...opinionated...

JPinTO said:

Poor guy. He must really be getting a complex from all those SUV drivers menacing him.

Perhaps an analysis of his own driving style would be more fruitful. As in: "I should stop driving my Saturn in the left lane at the posted speed limit, then perhaps all those SUV's would stop menacing me."
Jpinto:
A) I am not a guy
B) I never said I was menaced, just disgusted
C) I'm not someone who sits in the left lane blocking traffic at the speed limit (don't get me started on another rant)

Just wanted to set the record straight. Although I have to admit, your comment was pretty funny, just not even close to the truth.
:)

·
2,457 Posts
Hmmmm. Makes me wanna go out and cut some losers off in the new LR Disco SE7 we just got. Can't wait to "live up to my potential"!:thumbup: :thumbup:

..and I wouldn't want to differ from the norm.:rolleyes:

Seriously though, I do not like the rate of fuel this new rig gulps down, but my kids were getting older, and we're now into the taxiing around phase. We had a Grand Cherokee, but that only allows for 3 passengers in the rear. Now, I can put an additional 2 people in back. Neither my wife or I could think about the minivan thing.:thumbdwn: We also need a decent/safe vehicle for our ski trips.

On a side note, there's some really neat looking "expedition" type of events for Land Rovers. We are already talking about doing a few each year. Should be a great opportunity to do some camping and have the added fun of pushing the new pig over some rocks!

20,210 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Hhmmm...opinionated...

doctorD said:

Jpinto:
A) I am not a guy
B) I never said I was menaced, just disgusted
C) I'm not someone who sits in the left lane blocking traffic at the speed limit (don't get me started on another rant)

Just wanted to set the record straight. Although I have to admit, your comment was pretty funny, just not even close to the truth.
:)
he was referring to the author of the article

·
Where am I?
963 Posts
I'm amazed how many people claim to 'need' an SUV. What's wrong with a sedan or wagon? They worked ok for all those years before these behemoths caught on. My parents had a wagon — we could put tons of stuff in that thing and go on trips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts