Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been reading posts from here since recently purchasing my E36 328 vert which have been helpful. I've been working on the car for the past 2 months and recently ran into a huge issue. After releasing the motors I can't re-engage the top motor. I have tried turning the cog and the inside one but nothing. It's as if the cog is just going into an empty hole and just drops back out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Car is just sitting there with motors disengaged.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,223 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest membership!

I moved your posting to the E36 forum so you can get assistance from other E36 cabriolet owners, but first go to this thread and read the PDFs that are linked there, then post in that thread for help:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639047

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Been through that thread and can't find anything like this.

It's a real worry now. It just won't re-engage.

By the way, it's a 98 fully auto top in case anyone is able to help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you made sure you fully returned the release lever? I remember with my vert I had issues getting the motors to re-engage but that was because my release lever is wonky and I had to finagle and bend it, then with a bit of force, I was able to engage the motors. Also are you sure they’re getting getting engage? For a long time I thought my motors were screwed because they “wouldn’t re-engage” but I just wasn’t applying enough force to get them back into place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I managed to engage the motor. Not sure how but after fiddling more a few days later it just engaged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts