BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car a 1999 535i (e39) similar like US version 540 v8 has done about 90000miles. i have found that i need to top up about half of the water bottle after about 500k drive. there is no water in the oil, however, i have noticed there is some water ( a little bit green0 dropped near the back of the engine. initially i thought i was aircon water, but until this morning, i noticed there is some 'green' color in it. but i cannot see where it is from. i though it could be from the heater? can someone help me to identify where to look at?
I also have another question: should the electronic fan ( in front of the car start to run when i turn on the aircon? or it may not run at all if the car is not hot enough?
thanks,
John
sydney

·
Registered
559 Posts
I believe that there are some small hoses at the back of the engine which are not really visible. I read about one bursting on someone's car when he didn't even know he had hoses back there. Perhaps they're heater hoses. Feel around when the engine is cool or use small mirrors to try to see better. You might have to remove the cabin filter plastic housing to do it.

As for the electronic fan, sorry, I don't know enough about it to intelligently answer your question but would think that it's normal to push cool air through the condenser helping the air conditioner be more effective. If it's temperature dependent, maybe it's tied in with the outside temperature sensor telling the fan when to turn on if it's really hot out. Just guessing. ?????

·
Registered
401 Posts
possible it's the valley pan gasket. the m62 U.S. 4.4 has a problem with the valley pan gasket leaking after around 80K mi., might be worth a look. seems to leak more towards the back of the block. i'm looking to change mine soon when i do the cooling system overhaul. not sure if the 3.5 v8's have the same problem as the 4.4's, but just throwing it out there. it doesn't start out as a real bad leak, just a mystery loss of coolant and an occasional drip here and there. check at the back of the block, see if you see any dried coolant coming from the upper end of the block (under the intake manifold). might be the culprit. good luck man. branndon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts