BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...
Im planning to buy a used 528i 2015. I don't know much about BMW's all i searched so far is this model has weak engines. is this true? Cuz otherwise i love how it looks inside and out...
Also another question. Is it possible for someone to pull back the mileage on these models? i want to make sure i won't get ripped
If you have other suggestions please let me know. Id appreciate that.
Thank you sooo much

·
Registered
963 Posts
The 2015 does not have a weak engine. I has 241 hp and 258 pound feet of torque. Plenty for most cars. The engine is either the N20 or N26. Both had issues (potentially catastrophic) with the plastic timing chain guides and the oil pump drive. In the US the warranty has been extended due to a class action law suit. I don't know about the UK but a dealer could tell you if the warranty has been extended. Just provide the vehicle identification number (VIN) to the dealer. Also, check the production date on the car. If it was built in April 2015 or later you shouldn't have the issue. It was supposed to have been fixed by then.

·
Glfbggy
676 Posts
When you hear about 'weak engines' in a 5 series BMW, it means it is smaller than others. The 528 F10 has a 4 cylinder engine while the 535 and 550 have the inline 6 or v8 respectively. The 535 is also available in a diesel....I am biased, but I prefer the diesel over the other engines available in the f10.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go to a dealer and check the service record of the car. Don't trust the record on the iDrive or a paper record.
Thx. What if the car was serviced in normal mechanic shops? are there anyway to make sure the mileage was not manipulated or messed with without checking the service records? Thanks again
The 2015 does not have a weak engine. I has 241 hp and 258 pound feet of torque. Plenty for most cars. The engine is either the N20 or N26. Both had issues (potentially catastrophic) with the plastic timing chain guides and the oil pump drive. In the US the warranty has been extended due to a class action law suit. I don't know about the UK but a dealer could tell you if the warranty has been extended. Just provide the vehicle identification number (VIN) to the dealer. Also, check the production date on the car. If it was built in April 2015 or later you shouldn't have the issue. It was supposed to have been fixed by then.
Thx so much for the info it was very useful to know . so 2015 after april is good. how about 2014? Also can i check car's production date by VIN number online or somewhere? Thanks again
When you hear about 'weak engines' in a 5 series BMW, it means it is smaller than others. The 528 F10 has a 4 cylinder engine while the 535 and 550 have the inline 6 or v8 respectively. The 535 is also available in a diesel....I am biased, but I prefer the diesel over the other engines available in the f10.
yeah i thought since its only V4 its abit weak. Cuz i heard more cylinders an engine have, less pressure it gets so breaks down less.. Correct me if im wrong please. thx

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's not a V4, but an I4. The six cylinder motors have by far the best reliability of the gas motors. Can't speak to diesel as we don't see many in the U.S. My indy mech is not fond of the 4 cylinder motor at all. Based on what I have read, I wouldn't buy one.

Suggestion; start by finding an independent service shop with lots of BMW experience. Don't buy any car without a pre-purchase inspection by the shop.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not a V4, but an I4. The six cylinder motors have by far the best reliability of the gas motors. Can't speak to diesel as we don't see many in the U.S. My indy mech is not fond of the 4 cylinder motor at all. Based on what I have read, I wouldn't buy one.

Suggestion; start by finding an independent service shop with lots of BMW experience. Don't buy any car without a pre-purchase inspection by the shop.

Good luck.
So are you saying i don't buy the 528i? It has 4 cylinders... I dont knwo whats the difference beteen v4 and i4. Can you please give me some tips about what model or trim i get? my budget is limited or id get something stronger like 550i. i also care about the cluster... i like new ones. i dont like old fashioned orange ones. thx again

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, I would not buy a 528i. The 535i is by far the most reliable gas motor. The 5 series known as the F10 was current 2011 thru 2016, the early years did have their share of bugs. There are a lot of trim options, which you will want to research. I paid extra for a car with the comfort seats, which are a big deal for those with back issues.

I still suggest finding the shop who will work on it once you buy it, who can serve as a local source of information. Have you driven this car yet? IMHO, find out if you like the thing first.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I would not buy a 528i. The 535i is by far the most reliable gas motor. The 5 series known as the F10 was current 2011 thru 2016, the early years did have their share of bugs. There are a lot of trim options, which you will want to research. I paid extra for a car with the comfort seats, which are a big deal for those with back issues.

I still suggest finding the shop who will work on it once you buy it, who can serve as a local source of information. Have you driven this car yet? IMHO, find out if you like the thing first.

Good luck.
no, i have yet to sit in it. or even seen it in person. Just saw the pics and vids. Thing bout 535 is there are not a lot of them here. and about options... I noticed some have back seat separate air conditioning, I liked it. do you know what is it called? also which ones have Sport + mode? Do they have a name or is it an option? ( im talking about 528i btw) Thx again for answers

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I agree with ChiNorm. If you can afford a few more bucks buy a 535i, preferably a 2104 or newer model. You will notice the difference in the power and will have a much more reliable car. I have had four different 5 series over the years and I have enjoyed my current 2014 535i M-Sport the most.

Reactions: CCGIrl

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with ChiNorm. If you can afford a few more bucks buy a 535i, preferably a 2104 or newer model. You will notice the difference in the power and will have a much more reliable car. I have had four different 5 series over the years and I have enjoyed my current 2014 535i M-Sport the most.
Thanks for the info and heads up... How about the 2012 model? it has old clusters tho ( odometer)

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Thanks for the info and heads up... How about the 2012 model? it has old clusters tho ( odometer)
2014 or newer, preferably an M-Sport if you can find one. The M-Sport produced after October of 2013 have a sport suspension and you will notice the difference between the sport and standard suspension. Also, BMW made a few enhancements to the 2014 models and by this time had enough time to work out the bugs in the older models.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2014 or newer, preferably an M-Sport if you can find one. The M-Sport produced after October of 2013 have a sport suspension and you will notice the difference between the sport and standard suspension. Also, BMW made a few enhancements to the 2014 models and by this time had enough time to work out the bugs in the older models.
so are u 100% against 528i? to me looks like that only option... Could you please tell me whats wrogn with it's reliability ? what do i have to expect if i get one?

·
Registered
53 Posts
You are taking advice from people in the USA. BMW there doesn't even sell the 520. In Europe a 528i is a very capable car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are taking advice from people in the USA. BMW there doesn't even sell the 520. In Europe a 528i is a very capable car.
Thx for the reply. Do you have more info you would like to share for a newbie ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you like the car, the most important thing is to mechanically check it (go to the dealer) and be aware of its history. If something doesn't add up with a particular car, go to the next.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whats a Good/ reasonable mileage for a 2015 model? some i looked have ridiculously low mileages like 25k miles ( 40k KM) . is why i asked if they can easily pull it back? but yeah i will make ur to check services history...
Are there anyway i that Car's CPU tells the real mileage by diag? rather than service history?
Thx again everyone for replies. I got really nice information here

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 2015 528i M Sport since three years, and thankfully I never had any issues so far with the engine, or any mechanical issues for that matter. The timing chain issue should've been resolved if you're looking at a 2015 model since it's production date is likely in late 2014. You can check the production date by deciding the vehicle's VIN at (bimmer.work : VIN Decoder for BMW)

Regarding engine powers of different F10s and which one should you get, I think it depends on your driving style. If you are like me who prefers to just enjoy cruising in a comfortable ride with lots of bells and whistles with some occasional spirited driving in sports mode, you're totally fine with 528i, and can also benefit somewhat from the lower base price and use the extra money to spend on a options-loaded 528i. On the other hand, if you want more of a track worthy car, I agree with others about going with a more powerful engine, like 550 or even M5 but that gets much more expensive.

Goodluck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Whats a Good/ reasonable mileage for a 2015 model? some i looked have ridiculously low mileages like 25k miles ( 40k KM)
It is entirely possible to find such low actual miles on a 2015. A friend found a ~23k miles 528i recently with all dealer service records, and he's been happy with his purchase.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 2015 528i M Sport since three years, and thankfully I never had any issues so far with the engine, or any mechanical issues for that matter. The timing chain issue should've been resolved if you're looking at a 2015 model since it's production date is likely in late 2014. You can check the production date by deciding the vehicle's VIN at (bimmer.work : VIN Decoder for BMW)

Regarding engine powers of different F10s and which one should you get, I think it depends on your driving style. If you are like me who prefers to just enjoy cruising in a comfortable ride with lots of bells and whistles with some occasional spirited driving in sports mode, you're totally fine with 528i, and can also benefit somewhat from the lower base price and use the extra money to spend on a options-loaded 528i. On the other hand, if you want more of a track worthy car, I agree with others about going with a more powerful engine, like 550 or even M5 but that gets much more expensive.

Goodluck!
Thank you for the info... You seem like the person id like to get a lot of information from..
1: does yours have Separate AC for back seats? or just the vents. And is this an option? if so what is it called ?
2: i know comfort seats have a thigh support, but i guess on not comfort seats its manual but on comfort seats its electric? is that how you can tell it's comfort?
3: Does ambient lighting for interior come as standard or you need to order it separately? cuz i love ambient lighting.
4: is adaptive lights come as standard or its also an option?
5: how about M sport? i seen some steering wheels have that m logo, but its just for the look? So my question is which ones have Sport+ driving modes? Do all 528i have sport+?
Thanks for answering

1 - 20 of 35 Posts