BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
The N20/N26 (four cylinder engine) timing chain problem was supposedly fixed starting with engine produced in January 2015. But, as stated above, a lot of 2015 cars were made before that. Also, some of those pre-updated engines made in the 2014 could have still been in the pipeline and installed in cars assembled in 2015.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The N20/N26 (four cylinder engine) timing chain problem was supposedly fixed starting with engine produced in January 2015. But, as stated above, a lot of 2015 cars were made before that. Also, some of those pre-updated engines made in the 2014 could have still been in the pipeline and installed in cars assembled in 2015.
So what are u suggesting? how to make sure the one we get won't have these issues?

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
Those VIN decoder websites list when a car was made. I'd probably go for one made in February or March 2015 or later. In the US, the bad engines have an extended warranty, and there's a class-action lawsuit wrapping up in the courts. There's a thread about that here on BF somewhere.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thank you for the info... You seem like the person id like to get a lot of information from..
1: does yours have Separate AC for back seats? or just the vents. And is this an option? if so what is it called ?
2: i know comfort seats have a thigh support, but i guess on not comfort seats its manual but on comfort seats its electric? is that how you can tell it's comfort?
3: Does ambient lighting for interior come as standard or you need to order it separately? cuz i love ambient lighting.
4: is adaptive lights come as standard or its also an option?
5: how about M sport? i seen some steering wheels have that m logo, but its just for the look? So my question is which ones have Sport+ driving modes? Do all 528i have sport+?
Thanks for answering
Lots of your questions about what features come as standard vs. options can be answered looking at the ordering guide of the model year. Following is an example of 2014 5 series:
You may decode the VIN of the vehicle you find and exactly find out which features it has by looking at the decoded three digit alphanumeric option codes.

To your questions:
1: I think you are referring to 4 zone climate control where rear seat passengers can independently change their AC temperature. My car doesn't have it, it just has the rear vents. I don't think it was offered in F10 5 series (not entirely sure).

2: In my experiencen, I've only seen the thigh support seats as part of Luxury Seating Package that I have. Those seats are fully powered.

3: Ambient lighting comes standard.

4: Adaptive lights come standard but Automatic High Beam control is an optional feature.

5: M Sport package has few additional things in addition to M Steering Wheel. You can check the details in ordering guide. However, Sport+ mode comes with Sport Automatic Transmission (2TB) option. Those cars will have paddle shifters installed from factory.

Goodluck!

Reactions: CCGIrl

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Lots of your questions about what features come as standard vs. options can be answered looking at the ordering guide of the model year. Following is an example of 2014 5 series:
You may decode the VIN of the vehicle you find and exactly find out which features it has by looking at the decoded three digit alphanumeric option codes.

To your questions:
1: I think you are referring to 4 zone climate control where rear seat passengers can independently change their AC temperature. My car doesn't have it, it just has the rear vents. I don't think it was offered in F10 5 series (not entirely sure).

2: In my experiencen, I've only seen the thigh support seats as part of Luxury Seating Package that I have. Those seats are fully powered.

3: Ambient lighting comes standard.

4: Adaptive lights come standard but Automatic High Beam control is an optional feature.

5: M Sport package has few additional things in addition to M Steering Wheel. You can check the details in ordering guide. However, Sport+ mode comes with Sport Automatic Transmission (2TB) option. Those cars will have paddle shifters installed from factory.

Goodluck!
Thank you so much. sooo the ones which got paddle shifter behind steering wheel has sport+ huh

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have a 2015 528i M Sport since three years, and thankfully I never had any issues so far with the engine, or any mechanical issues for that matter. The timing chain issue should've been resolved if you're looking at a 2015 model since it's production date is likely in late 2014. You can check the production date by deciding the vehicle's VIN at (bimmer.work : VIN Decoder for BMW)

Regarding engine powers of different F10s and which one should you get, I think it depends on your driving style. If you are like me who prefers to just enjoy cruising in a comfortable ride with lots of bells and whistles with some occasional spirited driving in sports mode, you're totally fine with 528i, and can also benefit somewhat from the lower base price and use the extra money to spend on a options-loaded 528i. On the other hand, if you want more of a track worthy car, I agree with others about going with a more powerful engine, like 550 or even M5 but that gets much more expensive.

Goodluck!
No F10 is "track worthy." They are a very comfortable car. I have a 2014 550i. 445 HP and 480 pound feet or torque. 0-60 time if 4.3 seconds. Fast but no track car.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I would avoid the V8. I have one. It has tons of torque and power but my last car was and N54 inline 6 and my wife's first X5 had and N55 inline 6 and her new X5 has a B58 inline 6. I preferred those engines for both drivability and smoothness. Both have plenty of power.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My son has a 2013 328i that has the same engines as the 528i you are looking at. It is a wonderful engine but we do have to worry about the timing chain. It is covered by the BMW extended warranty but what BMW will reimburse goes down with age and mileage. If he makes it to 80,000 miles without problems we will end up replacing the chain and guides ourselves.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's probably better, but not necessarily good. The single biggest factor when buying a used BMW is;
'how well was it maintained'? Cars with the factory spec'd 15k oil changes are more likely to have problems, same for 'life time' transmission fluid and other lubricants. The quality of gasoline used by the previous owner can also have an impact on the car.

An independent inspection at a non dealership shop is the only accurate way to establish the condition of a used vehicle. You would likely be better off with a babied 2014 than a flogged 2015. If you want to be really thorough, get the alignment checked too. Use the list of 'opportunities' that the independent shop identifies as haggle points with the seller.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
FWIW, the local BMW indy that I took my 535xi to says that the N20 is arguably the worst BMW engine ever made. He said that he would personally never own one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone...
Im planning to buy a used 528i 2015. I don't know much about BMW's all i searched so far is this model has weak engines. is this true? Cuz otherwise i love how it looks inside and out...
Also another question. Is it possible for someone to pull back the mileage on these models? i want to make sure i won't get ripped
If you have other suggestions please let me know. Id appreciate that.
Thank you sooo much
Don’t buy any BMW with a V8 engine. Google N63 engine for details.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You're asking a lot of good questions, but from this side of the pond, I don't think we can answer them because of model differences in Europe. If you like the car from a distance, go drive it and bring your questions along. If memory serves, the taxes in the UK will be less on the smaller engine, and as others have indicated, the 4 cylinder is no slouch. Good luck!

Steve

21 - 35 of 35 Posts