Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I'm the proud new owner of a 2005 325CI. On the way home from the sale i noticed that the drivers's side headlight is out. Today i bit the bullet and bought one of the super expensive DS2 bulbs but no joy. Still out and showing the malfunction indicator. So at this point im thinking its gotta be either the igniter, the ballast or the wiring between. The wiring insulation is pretty chewed up and i'm not looking forward to buying ballast/igniter on a car i just bought so my question is would it be easier/cheaper to just switch the whole thing out to LED? I've seen some that advertise as plug and play so i'm thinking that this would take the ballast and igniter out of the equation. Does anyone have experience with this that can shed some light(no pun intended)
Thanks in advance

·
Keeping it surreal
43,083 Posts
You have obviously overlooked the basics here, common courtesies which should be observed whenever you join ANY new Forum. (i.e., READ THE STICKY THREADS AND THE E46 WIKI). In the STICKY threads, you will see a DIY video by Solidjake. Start there....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My apologies for not observing the etiquette involved. I dont post much to online forums. My initial post was made out of frustration with a newly bought vehicle with problems. I have since posted an introduction and have been researching the forums for my specific question. I'm still looking for information on converting HID D2S to LED without much luck. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My apologies for not observing the etiquette involved. I dont post much to online forums. My initial post was made out of frustration with a newly bought vehicle with problems. I have since posted an introduction and have been researching the forums for my specific question. I'm still looking for information on converting HID D2S to LED without much luck. Thanks again.

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,609 Posts
All in all, it's not feasible. You would have to swap your headlight housings over to the halogen housings, swap in DOT-approved LED bulbs, and re-code your car to accept halogen bulbs. It's cheaper and easier to just replace the hardware that needs replacing.

Or did you mean retrofit something like the M4 headlights? Because that's just not going to happen unless you have DEEP pockets.

Or you could retrofit the i8 laser headlights. I think one pair of those sells for about $16,000 these days...

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,609 Posts
This is the kit i'm looking at. (thumb attached) The company claims that they are plug and play and fit my car.
You'll end up with less light output. Seriously. The only time those "plug and play" LED upgrades work are in halogen reflector headlights. Even then, you have to find the RIGHT type of LED bulb. Yes... the ones you showed us are probably total garbage. I can tell you right now they are NOT worth $100. That is some ridiculous markup.

There are only two LED bulbs on the market right now that I would use, and they're not $100.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads up. Back to troubleshooting. Im going to swap the igniters side to side and see if the problem follows it. After that, the ballast

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,618 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Back to troubleshooting. I'm going to swap the igniters side to side and see if the problem follows it. After that, the ballast
There you go! Now you're thinking like a 'Fester! :thumbup:
:thumbup: +1!

Top tip for happy BMW ownership: Avoid "diagnosing" problems by throwing parts at them! As repair techniques go, it's akin to buying singing lessons for a pig (i.e., wastes your money and annoys the pig). ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
***Update***
Swapped igniters side to side. No joy. Swapped ballast side to side. Problem followed. Ordered and installed a new ballast on the driver's side and reworked the wiring internal to the headlight to rectify crumbling insulation. Result-Both lights shining and fault codes are cleared. Thanks to all the members who helped point me in the right direction.
:thumbup:

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,609 Posts
***Update***
Swapped igniters side to side. No joy. Swapped ballast side to side. Problem followed. Ordered and installed a new ballast on the driver's side and reworked the wiring internal to the headlight to rectify crumbling insulation. Result-Both lights shining and fault codes are cleared. Thanks to all the members who helped point me in the right direction.
:thumbup:
We're glad you were able to solve the issue! Visit us often to learn a thing or two from time to time. I've been here a few years and I still learn something new on a regular basis (when I'm not chiding people for asking about turbo kits).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We're glad you were able to solve the issue! Visit us often to learn a thing or two from time to time. I've been here a few years and I still learn something new on a regular basis (when I'm not chiding people for asking about turbo kits).
Oh, I'm learning daily. Next to tackle is the top running slow and the windshield cowl. It seems I've bought an addiction not a car

1 - 15 of 15 Posts