BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not posted here before, so be gentle as this is my first time. :thumbup:

My passenger's side low beam HID flickered then went out. Then when I started the car again, it came on then after 2-3 minutes, it went out again. In order to trouble shoot this problem, switched the bulbs. The problem stayed with passenger's side. Then I switched the bulbs back, but I switched the ignitors. Again, the problem stayed with the passenger's side. Now that I have ruled out the bulbs and the ignitors, what is next? :dunno:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the help. Do either of you know of a website (or something) that directs you on how to remove this ballast? I am sure it is easier that taking the entire light bulb "box" off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Does it only flicker when you turn? I had the Same problem on my car (exactly the same as yours)
Actually it started flickering one night when I first turned the car on. I drove for about 15 minutes then he completely went out. After letting car sit for about 3 hours, I started it and it did it again. Then the flickering got progressively worst and now the light will not come on at all.

I am willing to pull the ballast and continue my investigation, but I am not sure how to access it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Try this: open your hood, stand in front of your headlight, there is a black oval shaped cover, open it, you should see 3 or 4 small wires, check those wires too see if there are any broken wires. If there is then that's the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, when it rains, it pours. Last night after putting the headlights back together knowing that the passengers side would still not work, I resigned myself to the fact there probably is a bad ballast. When I started the car this morning the driver's side light flickered for a few minutes then went out. Now I am sans headlights. Not sure what is going on here.

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,215 Posts
The ballast is screwed to the bottom of the headlight. Pull the headlight and it will be very easy to take off.

Of course... now that you seem to have the problem on both sides - not sure how good of a troubleshooting item swapping the ballast would be.

These are OEM right? not retrofitted?

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
Thanks for the response. Yes, these are OEM. I thought the ballast was the only issue left until this morning.
I have the same car as you, but I have not had any problems with the lights, although I don't use the car much at night. Please post back if you find a resolution to your problem, as it may help others. I hope you find a simple solution to your problem. I had heard that the taillight ground problem could cause problems with the xenon lights, but I thought that this had been corrected by our model year, especially considering that we have led taillights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After much aggravation, blood sweats and tears and congressional hearings (you know THESE did me no good), I got this one fixed. I had to take the car in for some other service and the guy said he would take a look at it. Well, the problem was with two broken wires to the igniter. Deep in the valleys of the headlight box there were two wires that were held by a zip tie and they had been severed. According to the tech, this was like this from the factory as the drivers side was in the same condition, but the wires were not broken yet.

Thanks for the help and feedback. I am sure there will be more in the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts