BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My X3 is equipped with HID headlights. While waiting for my wife, and seeing the reflection of the front of the car in a store window, I experimented a little. I noticed the only headlight to light is the outer headlight. On low beams it is lit with the sharp horizontal cutoff and on high beams the shutter moves out of the way for a wider beam spread. In no case does the inner headlight light on either side of the car (except for the circumferential ring Daytime Running Light).

Is this correct? The inner head light on both sides does not light?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are these dummy lights in all countries?

There appears to be a glass lens in the dummy headlight so I am curious to learn if all it takes is a proper halogen bulb and additional high beam light output might just be a plug and play exercise. Probably not but it has my curiosity fired up as more high beam light energy is always better..

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
The inner lights are not dummy lights. For vehicles not eqipped with HIDs, they are the high beams and used for flashing as well during the day. For those with HIDs they are the daytime running lights and used for flashing as well.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The inner lights are not dummy lights. For vehicles not eqipped with HIDs, they are the high beams and used for flashing as well during the day. For those with HIDs they are the daytime running lights and used for flashing as well.
As I stated in my original post I have HID lamps so the question only applies to vehicles with HID headlamps.

The DRLs are nothing more than an LED driven plastic light ring and provide zero usable light at night. Therefore, for cars equipped with HID lamps, the inner lamps really are dummies because the inner lamp does not light when flashing the high beams or at any other time for that matter.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
The DRLs are nothing more than an LED driven plastic light ring and provide zero usable light at night. Therefore, for cars equipped with HID lamps, the inner lamps really are dummies because the inner lamp does not light when flashing the high beams or at any other time for that matter.
Correct. Starting in about 2007 or so with the newer xenons (not the E83, rather E70, E92, etc...), the bi-xenons have the ability to act as flash-to-pass so the inner headlamp serves no actual function for vehicles so-equipped.

·
Registered
254 Posts
In those equipped with adaptive light control with cornering illumination, the inner lights on the side of turning would turn on to shine sideways towards the side of the road.

And when the facelift (LCI) model is released, it would also be part of the optional LED headlights.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've had the car for 2 yrs now and am ashamed to admit it that I never noticed this!!!

On my HID version, the inner lamps look so real that I had always assumed that they provide the high beam illumination!!! I checked after reading this post... alas, they do nothing! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.