BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I just picked up my new-to-me '01 330i last night and I love it! I am experiencing a small problem, however:

The passenger-side Xenon bulb appears to be a brilliant white color, where as the driver-side bulb is more of a purplish color. When I turn on the lights, both assemblies auto level, and initially (for the first 5 seconds or so) they are the same purplish color. After 5 seconds or so, then the passenger light becomes more white. I noticed the the plastic lens appears newer on the passenger side (less rock pitting) and does not say "Hella" on it like the driver's side does. Looking under the hood, the actual assemblies look identical and their serial numbers are only one apart. This leaves me to believe that the previous owner changed the headlight lens only on the passenger side.

I believe/hope that the passenger headlight is indeed HID. Although it is white light, it is quite bright, still autolevels, and has a warmup period. My question is, why is it a different light color? I have read that the higher the Kelvin rating on the bulb, the more white the light is and the greater the light output, so perhaps the bulb was just changed? Does anyone know what the color looks like from the factory? Also, if it is just a bulb, how much should I expect to pay for a bulb at the dealer, and is it something that I can change myself?

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:
Bryan

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't answer the color difference. ??:dunno: But yes, you can change the bulb yourself in a few minutes. You can expect to pay about $200 for a Xenon bulb. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
The kelvin rating of the bulb changes the color of it like you mentioned so I bet someone changed out one of the bulbs with a different rating.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
3,247 Posts
Most likely that the dealer replaced just one side and not the other. When you do not replace the bulbs in pairs, the newer one will be yellower in comparison because it has not burnt into the correct color. We recommend replacing xenon bulbs in pairs so that they match. We do have D2S replacement bulbs to upgrade your stock bulbs to a 6000k pure white.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts