BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

during the last month I've been getting this annoying alert every morning that says that there has been an unusual voltage drop due to a higher than expected consumption since last turned off the vehicle. From what I've learned about my 2010 550i h, it has a sensor that measures the battery voltage from the last time it was turned off and compares it with the one as you turn on it again. if the drop is over a certain parameter , it triggers the message. only happens over night or after a 7-8 hours of not using it
The battery is 1 year old and is not showing any signs of being depleted. I drive more than 5 miles every time I use the car and mostly over 55 mph.
the only special thing I saw is that even after 1 hour has passed from turning off the car, and keeping the key away far enough not to wake up the car by proximity, the car STILL HAS THE COURTESY LIGHTS ON, those little red lights projecting from the ceiling, the ones CD/DVD console, the one inside the handles, the ones on the buttons of the wheel drive as well as the buttons for the windows. these are supposed to be off after 15 minutes. I believe these are the ones that are consuming energy unexpectedly triggering the alert.
Any idea on what's to be done ? is this a software thing? or a Hardware issue? mine has 60k so no warranty so trying for a DIY solution

Thanks
D

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
On some early E60 models the IBS (the device that measures battery usage while the engine is off) goes bad. It can happen on any E60, but is not so common after say 2007MY. You can try unhooking the IBS and see if the problem goes away (blue connector on wire coming off of the negative battery cable).

A common item in the later E60 models is a defective comfort access door handle which keeps the car awake. Search the forum for details.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I've seen the comfort access issue all over the forum. I guess my question is, should the interior red lights be on after 16 minutes? If not then there is a high probability for that to be the cause of the drain...
D

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Sorry I can't answer that, not having a comfort access vehicle. I don't know what interior lights are activated when the door handle is touched. I would imagine now that those lights don't come on after a touch of the handle, as you would have already guessed that as the cause.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My comfort access 08 535i is having the same message....I bet mine are on.

After checking, no. My lights are not on. The red lights are part of the premium package (AFAIK) and I have that, so that is probably what is causing your battery drain!

What's causing mine on the other hand. I wish I knew.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts