BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may have read previously I have been looking to modify my 550i since before I got it. Although the car in stock form is no slouch performance wise I still find it abit disconnected and sedate. Enter AR design, a company that already makes probably the finest downpipes for the N54 and N55 engines as well as several others. I contacted them to make me a pair of custom downpipes and luckily they were more than up for the challenge. I transported my car to Denver where they are located and they will have them done by the end of next week. I will post pictures and a sound clip and dyno as soon as I have the car back. I'm jumping the gun abit and probably should wait to post this till it was all done but I'm excited and I'm sure there are a few other people on here that would like to give their car a slightly more vocal and aggressive tone. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I was gonna get the dinan just as a short term thing while something more comprehensive came along. I had the appointment scheduled and everything then I got rearended and it was in the shop about a month when I got it back I took it straight to global BMW for my break in oil change and the dinan and they had just dropped dinan the day before. SA told me they were having alot of warranty claims and the dealer was loosing money. So now that there is no BMW dealer that also sells dinan in my area I have no incentive to get the dinan. There are several other tuned that make the same or more power for half what dinan charges. Plus this is just the beginning, I have a few things lined up after this.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Yeah I remember reading about the bad luck you had. Anyway power is probably the part I'm the least interested in, I'm much more curious about the weight reduction and suspension mods and the results of those. Not that I'll get another F10 but I'm still very curious of what can be done with it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well alot of the power and weight reduction stuff go hand and hand. For example replacing these stock downpipes with the catless ones I'm having made should net me a decent increase in power and also drop some 15-20lbs(a total guess but I'll have exact figures when I'm done) as the stock cats are HUGE. I also purchased the eisenmann race exhaust and will be installing soon and that should also help flow and weight. I swapped the wheels and tires and dropped 42lbs.I haven't had any luck as far as suspension setup as I have the DHP and apparently although this can be tuned no one has figured out how yet. I have had many conversations with tons of shops about mods I'd like to do but really I think to drop 250-300lbs(what I think is the amount needed to notice a substantial improvement) will take a while.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks for doing this - you sir are a pioneer! I've used AR's products in the past, high quality stuff and Andrew's great to deal with.

Have you considered a piggyback tune rather than flash? Vishnu has talked about developing a N63 tune in the past but not sure what happened... Might be a good choice to go if you're adding mods piecemeal rather than have to get custom flash tunes to take advantage of the hardware.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I had emailed shiv awhile back and he wrote back they'd have something out soon. This was a while ago though and I've sent two follow up emails to see if any progress had been made but didn't get a response. I agree that this would be a great option. The tune is really the most delicate part so I may just focus on getting all the bolt on's first and wait till I have a few more options as far as tuning. And I agree Andrew has been super cool to deal with. Maybe when I'm done you can add that to your Dinan and see how you feel about it then(saw your thread on bimmerboost)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can't wait to see the results!!!

I spoke to Roboert at Vishnu and they are just finishing the down pipes for the N55. My question is how much HP gains can you really get from a down pipe? Also what kind of HP can you gain by addtionally adding the full exhaust, or exhaust really just for looks and sound. I guess my long winded queston is I going to put a software tune on the car for sure, is the down pipe worth the money for the HP and is the full exhaust going to give me any addtional HP

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On turbocharged cars it is possible to make a nice gain in power. However alot of variables go into that, for example are you going catless or putting in some high flow cats? If your not to concerned about emissions you can go catless as I will and then it is possible to make a good number. Another thing is what else are you doing to the car? If you just do the downpipes with high flow cats then maybe you make a few HP and be happy however if your planning on tuning the engine and adding other bolt on's having a freer flowing exhaust will allow each subsequent mod to reach it's full potential. Another benefit of the downpipes is the turbos will probably spool alittle faster. On our particular engines I think having the aftermarket downpipes thermally coated will make a BIG difference because if you take the BMW cover off the motor you will see the airboxes are practically sitting on top of the downpipes. I imagine that even with that pretty decent heatshield that covers the cats they must get super hot and this in turn raises IAT causing a loss of power and heat soak. If you read a thread where I posted my dyno results you'll see I mention not being able to get a good third run because the engine was heat soaked due to me trying for about 10mins to get the car to allow me to do the dyno. And this was on a night where it was 35-40 degrees! So my longwinded answer to your question is yes I expect on our cars a well constructed and coated downpipe should be a big help not just for the power we may get from it but for the more efficient and consistent operation of our engines.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Solstice you gonna think I'm crazy but I can't stand those racing style bucket seats. Perhaps it's because I have a real wide back or something but I can never fit comfortably in them. Even on my 240 I am currently stripping the entire cabin(carpet, sound deadening pad, heat shields and I'm even thinking of getting rid of the dash and just using a sheet of aluminum with gauges attached) but I hate the idea I'm gonna have to swap the seat out(to pass safety inspection) I don't care if its loud, hot Im also not gonna be running AC or PS but I'm swapping my seat back to stock as soon as I'm off the track. Crazy I know but I'm one of the few who wasn't upset about loosing the side bolster adjustment on the F10. I love me some comfort seats and even got nappa. Still it's a good idea that would be a big difference as those stock ones must weigh a ton.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah I had emailed shiv awhile back and he wrote back they'd have something out soon. This was a while ago though and I've sent two follow up emails to see if any progress had been made but didn't get a response. I agree that this would be a great option. The tune is really the most delicate part so I may just focus on getting all the bolt on's first and wait till I have a few more options as far as tuning. And I agree Andrew has been super cool to deal with. Maybe when I'm done you can add that to your Dinan and see how you feel about it then(saw your thread on bimmerboost)
Ha - yeah, still haven't been to a dynojet, but learned something new about dyno dynamics...

My plan was to stick with just the flash for a couple years until the bolt on options mature for this car and then decide what to do. You may be altering my timeline a little ;)

Shiv's a good guy too, but I'd bet with the N54/N55 development he's doing it's going to take a while to get his attention focused on the N63. I was definitely not patient enough to wait.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455012

Here is something to give an idea about how effective downpipes can be. Yes I'm aware that this is a different engine but it was the best example I could find. It is also a turbocharged BMW motor released around the same time and with similar technology. These are very nice gains in my opinion and if they make the car sound better to well I'm all for it. I liked this comparison because it was compared correctly(at the same time and place and no other mods done) which is the only way to obtain real results different day dynoing on motors this adaptive is useless in my opinion(I'm still gonna do it though as I have no choice). Although these downpipe don't fit the 535i AR has some that do so no one is left teased by this lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The products that I'm choosing are based on when they come out, because I'm so excited to do some mods, however I'm not sure if I should be more patient. I***8217;ve listed below the companies and products I'm looking at. Can you give me any feedback on whether they are good bad or indifferent.

Software Tune: Vishnu or Active Autowerke (Are the HP gains that different from company to company) Vishnu software is one to two months out, Autowerke is one to two weeks out.

Down Pipe: Vishnu or Active Autowerke Vishnu down pipe is one to two weeks out and Autowerke is one to two months out (not sure of any other companies)

Catless Exhaust: Does anyone have catless ready for this? Is it more or less expensive to have a local muffler shop do a flowmaster type set-up?

If I do all these mods what kind of HP can I expect?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RLM what kind of car do you have? If it's the 550i here's how I would answer your questions. Keep in mind I'm NO expert, don't work in the car industry and just do this for fun. However when it comes to the 550 I have done my homework as best as I can and I think I have a fairly complete knowledge of what's available at the moment for this car.

Tune: yes there can be and are enormous differences in tunes for the same engine between companies. If it's the 550 we're talking about well as you can see above I don't know anything about shiv coming out with a module for the N63. I would doubt it is coming out that soon as I've seen several people across different boards say they've asked about this and gotten no response from Vishnu. I would imagine if they were that close to releasing it they would be pitching it on every board. AA already has a tune out for the N63 but IMHO it is weak. They got 37hp and 44wtq and they want $1200 for it. For $1200 you can call Jeremy at OE tuning or Luis at PAW motorsports both of whom already have a stronger flash(stronger than Dinan too) for the same money. As for the Dinan tune well it has made good numbers as alextremo has shown us(at least I thought they were pretty good Alex) but like I said above other companies offer the same performance or better for half the cost.

Downpipes: you've got me? I wasn't aware of anyone other than supersprint having some(for the S63 actually don't know if they'll even work) and they want $2500 for them. I asked AR to do them cause I think theyre the best(IMHO)

Catless exhaust: meistercraft has one i believe and it's 5k+ for stainless and 7k+ for titanium. Hamann has one although I'm not sure if it's catless for 7k. What I plan to do is loose the cats in the downpipes. If I make good power and like the exhaust note I'll leave it as is(remember I already ordered the eisenmann race canisters) I I want more flow or sound I'll take it to random technology in Atlanta and see if they can give me a high flow cat for the secondary.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That’s what I figured large HP variances from company to company. That’s where I may need to be a little more patient and see what is the best bang for the buck as these products come out. I think what I will do is a software upgrade and down pipe, and see how it goes. The full exhaust is just so expensive.

Do you or anyone have any experience with active autowerke, do they make good products?

How much does it cost to get down pipes thermally coated and where would you even go to get that done?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Solstice you gonna think I'm crazy but I can't stand those racing style bucket seats. Perhaps it's because I have a real wide back or something but I can never fit comfortably in them. Even on my 240 I am currently stripping the entire cabin(carpet, sound deadening pad, heat shields and I'm even thinking of getting rid of the dash and just using a sheet of aluminum with gauges attached) but I hate the idea I'm gonna have to swap the seat out(to pass safety inspection) I don't care if its loud, hot Im also not gonna be running AC or PS but I'm swapping my seat back to stock as soon as I'm off the track. Crazy I know but I'm one of the few who wasn't upset about loosing the side bolster adjustment on the F10. I love me some comfort seats and even got nappa. Still it's a good idea that would be a big difference as those stock ones must weigh a ton.
I don't think you are crazy, we like what we like it's as simple as that. The seat is the largest connection area we have between body and car so weight plays second fiddle to feel even if as you say the weight savings are likely considerable with CF buckets.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.