BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the oppurtunity to purchase a 2005 3.0 from a non-BMW dealer.

It has 49K miles on it. It has the premium package and heated seats.

I can add a warrnty but the cost is not known at this time.

It hasw been completely repainted and looks very good. THey are asking $24,000 before the warranty is added.

Any thoughts?

Could I add a warranty from a BMW dealer?

TIA

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
peakpro said:
I have the oppurtunity to purchase a 2005 3.0 from a non-BMW dealer.

It has 49K miles on it. It has the premium package and heated seats.

I can add a warrnty but the cost is not known at this time.

It hasw been completely repainted and looks very good. THey are asking $24,000 before the warranty is added.

Any thoughts?

Could I add a warranty from a BMW dealer?

TIA
A 2005 that has been totally repainted and has a **** load of miles? AND you need to pay more for an extended warranty?

Dude... for every little extra, you can probably find a BMW dealer that will sell you a CPO '04 or '05 with less miles.

That car you are looking at looks like someone else's worst nightmare that they are trying to pass off on you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My advice to you on a car that has been repainted - "step away from the car" and then run as fast as you can in the other direction. First of all the car is only a year old and has almost 50K miles on it - if this wasn't a BMW X3, I would have said with confidence - rental car, but given that it is a BMW and those exactly aren't cars you find at Hertz, I would still wonder about the high mileage. Secondly, combination of high mileage and repaint spells that this car has been used and abused. If the salesperson manages to sell you this car then either he is very good or you are very naive. Hopefully this post will help eliminate the latter.

·
kid hater
971 Posts
Don't let high mileage scare you away. Hell I drive 35 to 40k per year. I would be concerned about the paint work. As stated this vehicle is 2 model years old and has been repainted. I would be questioning why it has been painted.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I should have explained further...the car was keyed on both side front doors....repaired and hence repainted.....I saw the car before and after the repainting...it looks fine.

It is a off lease, one owner vehicle with a clean carfax...I have test drivien it for an extended period and it drives fine.

Getting a CPO car for just a little more is really not possible.....at least not with the same specs...you can get stripped down car for around 31K

I can probable get this car for 26k with a 3 year...100k mile extended warranty...maybe a little less.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spindoc1 said:
My advice to you on a car that has been repainted - "step away from the car" and then run as fast as you can in the other direction. First of all the car is only a year old and has almost 50K miles on it - if this wasn't a BMW X3, I would have said with confidence - rental car, but given that it is a BMW and those exactly aren't cars you find at Hertz, I would still wonder about the high mileage. Secondly, combination of high mileage and repaint spells that this car has been used and abused. If the salesperson manages to sell you this car then either he is very good or you are very naive. Hopefully this post will help eliminate the latter.
thanks for the input.

The car was purchased as a lease vehcile in oct 2004...it is almost two years old....

25K mile a year is not unheard of.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SARAFIL said:
A 2005 that has been totally repainted and has a **** load of miles? AND you need to pay more for an extended warranty?

Dude... for every little extra, you can probably find a BMW dealer that will sell you a CPO '04 or '05 with less miles.

That car you are looking at looks like someone else's worst nightmare that they are trying to pass off on you.
"very liitle extra"...

I been looking but I don't see the great deal you mention....

i'll keep looking.

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,695 Posts
be VERY carefull about repainted cars...
when i bout my 528i 4 years ago, no one told me the entire front end had been repainted. I paid $22,000 for it. When i went to purchase my new X3 three weeks ago, the dealer offered me HALF ($4,000) of what it was worth on blue book because it had been repainted. Doesn't matter how good a job was done, the car will be worth thousands less should you go to sell it or trade it someday.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I'm not sold on repainted......especailly for something that new (an '05). Plus if its non-BMW, I don't know if they did proper certification/maintenance/parts replacement. BMWs are complex cars and too many things can go wrong if not properly maintained. At least when a BMW dealer certifies a BMW, they repair and replace parts with the right technicians and parts. And it comes with the peace of mind of a warranty.

I'd really go CPO, or at least not that car you're looking at. There's two X3s (a 2.5i and 3.0i) in stock with more options, great condition at my dealer listing $29,995 and they can go lower on pricing. Oh and they have WAY fewer miles (although high mileage BMWs aren't a huge concern).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Our X3 was keyed shortly after we bought it.
$1800 + to repaint both passenger doors and the right rear finder
$1800 lost value according to Kelly Blue Book

NADA and Kelly Blue Book say your X3 should retail for about $31000
Trade in value is only $23700

Your deal just seems a little to good to be true make sure the title is not RECONDITIONED

if you buy it and the new paint falls off in a few weeks you’ve saved enough to have it painted again :thumbup:

·
Registered
942 Posts
damn...we have an '05 x3 with premium and xenons with about 10k that has been used as a chase car for out of town deliveries and we are selling it for just 32K. i would stay away from that car.

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
peakpro said:
"very liitle extra"...

I been looking but I don't see the great deal you mention....

i'll keep looking.
I see some nice '04 and '05 models listed on bmwusa.com with "asking prices" in the $28,995-29,995 range. Not sure where you are located geographically, but there are some all over.

If you're thinking of paying $26k for the repainted car with the warranty, you could probably haggle a bit on a 28,995 or 29,995 car and get it not too far from your number. And you'd be buying a car with no stories, less miles, and a BMW warranty.

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
peakpro said:
I should have explained further...the car was keyed on both side front doors....repaired and hence repainted.....I saw the car before and after the repainting...it looks fine.
I'd question why they'd repaint the entire car to repair 2 keyed doors? I can buy the fact that 2 doors were keyed... I'm in the car business and see this all day long. What I can't buy is why they would repaint the entire car to fix this, especially on a 2005 model car. A late model car with a total repaint is worth several thousand dollars less than a normal car. It makes no sense to paint any more than they would have had to... If it was just the doors, they could have sprayed both doors and blended into the panels on either side...

Either your description of the damaged or repair is a bit off, or the people fixing the damage had no clue what they were doing.

Regardless of the answer, you're buying a car that is going to always be of questionable background, and if you ever have to trade it in, you are going to get killed on trade in value.

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
SARAFIL said:
I'd question why they'd repaint the entire car to repair 2 keyed doors? I can buy the fact that 2 doors were keyed... I'm in the car business and see this all day long. What I can't buy is why they would repaint the entire car to fix this, especially on a 2005 model car. A late model car with a total repaint is worth several thousand dollars less than a normal car. It makes no sense to paint any more than they would have had to... If it was just the doors, they could have sprayed both doors and blended into the panels on either side...

Either your description of the damaged or repair is a bit off, or the people fixing the damage had no clue what they were doing.

Regardless of the answer, you're buying a car that is going to always be of questionable background, and if you ever have to trade it in, you are going to get killed on trade in value.
You know, I have no issue with a car being worth less because of some non-factory paint found by a gauge. What does bother me is the BMW/dealer double standard. If BMW damages cars in the shipping process and has to repair/paint panels, customers are supposed to just assume it was fixed as good as new at the VPC and take the car. Customers are seen as being too anal when they don't want to accept a new car that was repaired by nothing more than a BMW body shop (I don't think VPC paint will pass the gauge test). But when a dealer is expected to give full value for a used car that was repainted, the customer is laughed off the lot, and the car is valued at thousands less.

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
xspeedy said:
You know, I have no issue with a car being worth less because of some non-factory paint found by a gauge. What does bother me is the BMW/dealer double standard. If BMW damages cars in the shipping process and has to repair/paint panels, customers are supposed to just assume it was fixed as good as new at the VPC and take the car. Customers are seen as being too anal when they don't want to accept a new car that was repaired by nothing more than a BMW body shop (I don't think VPC paint will pass the gauge test). But when a dealer is expected to give full value for a used car that was repainted, the customer is laughed off the lot, and the car is valued at thousands less.
A big difference is the quality... the VPC paintwork is very, very good, and it usually (from my experience) DOES pass the "test". If I don't know a car has been repaired by looking at the history report, I usually can't tell.

As for bodyshop repairs, it's quite different. I rarely see a car that comes in with paintwork that comes anywhere near factory specs. It just doesn't happen. I might see one in a great while that had exceptional paint repair, and if that is the case, the value probably wouldn't be impacted much if at all. Most bodyshops do mediocre work at best, the paint texture doesn't match, sometimes the metallic tint is off, and almost always they leave very noticeable paint lines from where parts of the car were taped off.

I'm making an assumption here that if these people painted the entire X3 in question to fix a few key scratches, than the quality of their work isn't going to be that great. I have a feeling that I am correct, but I'd love if he can prove me wrong.

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
SARAFIL said:
A big difference is the quality... the VPC paintwork is very, very good, and it usually (from my experience) DOES pass the "test". If I don't know a car has been repaired by looking at the history report, I usually can't tell.

As for bodyshop repairs, it's quite different. I rarely see a car that comes in with paintwork that comes anywhere near factory specs. It just doesn't happen. I might see one in a great while that had exceptional paint repair, and if that is the case, the value probably wouldn't be impacted much if at all. Most bodyshops do mediocre work at best, the paint texture doesn't match, sometimes the metallic tint is off, and almost always they leave very noticeable paint lines from where parts of the car were taped off.

I'm making an assumption here that if these people painted the entire X3 in question to fix a few key scratches, than the quality of their work isn't going to be that great. I have a feeling that I am correct, but I'd love if he can prove me wrong.
I've had the VPC replace a front bumper cover (for an ED shipment), and it was easy to see that it was not factory. There were occasional bubbles in the paint. Also, the paint was far more prone to chipping from sand or other very small debris that might get kicked up from other cars. To me, it wasn't any different than something I would have received at a reputable body shop. Luckily, it was just a bumper cover. I'm interested to see if if VPC paint would pass the thickness test. Is the painting done by a robot? I'd imagine not due to the variety of parts coming into a paint booth.

·
My Other Car Is A Bus
1,097 Posts
xspeedy said:
I've had the VPC replace a front bumper cover (for an ED shipment), and it was easy to see that it was not factory. There were occasional bubbles in the paint. Also, the paint was far more prone to chipping from sand or other very small debris that might get kicked up from other cars. To me, it wasn't any different than something I would have received at a reputable body shop. Luckily, it was just a bumper cover. I'm interested to see if if VPC paint would pass the thickness test. Is the painting done by a robot? I'd imagine not due to the variety of parts coming into a paint booth.
Just curious, why did you accept the substandard bumper replacement? If you could tell at delivery, then everytime you looked at it, you would notice it. I cetainly would.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 2004 BMW 325i that got keyed 2 days out of the showroom to the point where the entire car had to be repainted. I had it done at the BMW center at a cost of around $3,000 if memory serves me correctly. All that I cared was that it was done right. When I traded the car in a year later on a new x3, I only took about a $500 hit for the paint; and they sold it as a CPO for almost as much as I bought it for new. This may comfort you or scare you, depending on your viewpoint. I wonder if the new owner even knows?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts