BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...

I drive a 2000 323 Ci. I got it CPO 2 years ago, and now have 103,000 miles :thumbup: . Only issue has been control arms *2, to be expected here in Cleveland.

The car just had an inspection at an indi BMW garage. They say nothing wrong, and engine oil analysis was clean.

My question: are there any of you out there trying to set mileage records like me? How has your experience been? Wondering what to look for in terms of problems. Cross my fingers, I have not had a window problem yet. Got the sunroof computer re-flashed, had the common turn-signal meltdown, but that's about it. Thanks!! Tom

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was told that a well-maintained bmw could easily go over 20k+ miles. If this is a fact based on older generations of bmws (like those real old 3s we still can see from time to time on the street) do you think it still applies to recent year (say e46) models? With all the well known issues that sometimes involve even drivetrain parts, I feel a bit skeptical.

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
110K here...

I have replaced the moonroof rails, control arms and a few other bits here and there to include a waterpump that died at 95K or so.

Car still runs great and leaves a smile on my face while driving.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's all relative isn't it ?
The point is that a BMW with 150,000 miles on the clock will still conform to tighter engineering tolerences on major components than many cars manage straight from the factory !
With so much electronic wizardry in modern cars, it's difficult to imagine 200,000 miles of genuinely trouble free motoring these days...but in mechanical terms I reckon they're as good as ever.

·
10,856 Posts
My '99 323i has 117K on it. Runs quite decently and is waiting for a gut, suspension, and general transformation into a track beater.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I just traded an E36 '98 323is with 160K for an '05 325i 5 speed w/ SP & CW. The 323 still had its original clutch and looked like new except for some leather wear on the drivers seat. I really do miss that car but the fear of something major going wrong had been lurking for a while. That car did not require much in the way of parts replacement but here's the list: Catalytic converter @ 110K, control arm bushings and ball joints around 125K, preventative H20 pump replacement(waste of $ because it had metal impeller from factory and replaced with plastic...dumb, I know, but I was warned!!!), thermostat, O2 Sensors, filters, and brakes. Not much for 160K. I hope the E46 holds up half as well.

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
I'd think most cars made nowadays can run high miles with few (major) problems. I'd also think that the quality of those miles are a more important determining factor of the longevity of your car. 100k hilly city miles in stop and go traffic in SF would beat on the car a lot more than 200k miles of historic I-66 cruising, I reckon.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Heheh,

I think I've got you all beat. I've got a Y2K 328i and have 128K miles on it. I've done the cooling system change (water pump, radiator, hoses, thermostat, etc.) as a precaution and am currently waiting to see what happens. It's a step and still shifts smoothly (knock on wood...) So far so good! :thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks... and turn signals...

Thanks for the replies... now I am worried about the cooling system. Was this a factory issue? Was there a recall? Or are the pump/radiator just subject to failure? Thanks for any info. How will this failure manifest, overheat??

The turn signal issue: Soon after I bought the car (but after the bumper to bumper 50k :eek: ) the signal warning came on, and the signal indicator started flashing quickly. I figured a burnt out bulb. But then it fixed itself :dunno: . But then it started to happen more often, until it did not work any more. The socket for the front signal had arc'ed/melted, and had to be replaced (~$100, all in). I have seen reference to this elsewhere (here or somewhere else).

·
...worked on the railroad
1,054 Posts
And everyone said...."oh, no, here she comes, Ms-2003-325i-With-73,328-Miles-117,324-Kilometers"! :p :eeps:

When I got Karl Bimmer on 9 December 2002, he had fourteen (14), count 'em, fourteen (14) miles. Well - it is the "Ultimate Driving Machine," is it not? :thumbup:

Ah, and Karl drives just a smoothly now, with 73,328 miles as the day I picked him up in Crevier's parking lot!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.