BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to get another E92, I had a 328i before and loved it. I found a couple of 335s near me but they all have over 120k. All I see is horror stories about the N54s but I've seen a couple with over 200k. I drive A LOT so I'll probably be racking up miles pretty quick. Can I get some input from people with high mileage on their N54 (150k and up lol) and how maintenance has been and how long did the stock turbos last. Is there anyone out there that hasn't had a bad experience with maintenance on their 335i??

·
beemlyfe
683 Posts
I hate to speak out of place here, since I'm not speaking directly from experience. But, you WILL have to replace the water pump, you WILL have to replace the HPFP, you WILL have to replace the turbos. These are all given, and that's not to mention the odd maintenance items that pop up. I love my 335i, but it would be the last car I own to rack mileage on. I keep it in the garage, and couldn't even tell you the last time it saw weather conditions that weren't sunny and warm.

Don't get me wrong, none of this is coming from a bad place. I will own BMWs for life, hold me to it.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I mean, high mileage = more maintenance. Pretty much that's the equation. It's like that for ANY vehicle, as a general rule of thumb. But yes, on the N54 (and other high performance vehicles), there are simply more systems at play. As mentioned, turbochargers and HPFP. The water pump is something that needs to be replaced on pretty much every vehicle (I've lost count to how many I've had to do over the years in different vehicles), but of course it's more expensive in a BMW vs a Chevy whatever.

I'm sure some higher mileage N54 owners will chime in, they do exist.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I bought a 335i and replaced all those parts like the turbos, waterpump, HPFP,etc. how long would you say could I could before having to do another DIY? I could go for another 328 but I was looking for something a little more exciting to drive.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If I bought a 335i and replaced all those parts like the turbos, waterpump, HPFP,etc. how long would you say could I could before having to do another DIY? I could go for another 328 but I was looking for something a little more exciting to drive.
That's not the way it works. It's a process, not an event. When you get the car, you fix any existing problems and get all the preventive maintenance caught up. Then you fix and maintain as necessary. With a 335, there's more of that than with other models. Worth it IMO.
Turbos, WP, HPFP are not preventive maintenance. Fix them if they break, and pray the turbos don't.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm currently looking for an E46 M3 which has the S version of this engine known as S54. I've been studying up on the 2002 - 2006 M5 so I can do my homework first and I read a lot about the importance of bullet-proofing your VANOS. Does this also apply to the N54 here?

·
Lurker
227 Posts
I'm currently looking for an E46 M3 which has the S version of this engine known as S54. I've been studying up on the 2002 - 2006 M5 so I can do my homework first and I read a lot about the importance of bullet-proofing your VANOS. Does this also apply to the N54 here?
The S54 and N54 are very different engines, and the E46 M3 and a E90/92 335i are quite different cars. Don't thread-jack, instead go ask in the E46 M3 forum.

·
beemlyfe
683 Posts
The S54 and N54 are very different engines, and the E46 M3 and a E90/92 335i are quite different cars. Don't thread-jack, instead go ask in the E46 M3 forum.
Not sure that he was thread jacking, rather, offering to share the knowledge acquired by his quest for a M3?

Personally how I interpreted his post.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I used to have an 09 335i with N54. It was an Illinois car that was imported here to Canada and had 76,000 miles when I bought it. $4,000 to get it to pass provincial inspections. I had to change the water pump at 90,000. Changed the valve cover gasket TWICE at 100,000. And by the time I traded it in it had 107,000 miles AND was leaking oil around the oil filter housing gasket. Still with the original turbos.

The car I traded it in for was an ‘11 335i with the N55 motor. Bought it with 80,000. It now has 130,000 and the only thing I changed so far was the water pump, blower motor and oil filter housing gasket. The VCG and turbos are still original. The N55 is said to be more reliable but if you’re a modder they’re not as good to mod as an N54.

Water pumps are given. ANY car will need one eventually. I work as a Toyota dealer mechanic and I’ve replaced thousands of water pumps on cars at the 90k mile range. My friend has a 14 RAV4 and it’s water pump failed at 40,000. But being a Toyota it’s something cheaper and easier to tackle than a BMW. Gaskets, are given as well based on my experience. As for turbos, you’ll never know. Just pray it wouldn’t break.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm most likely going to shoot for an n55, and hope for the best lol. Not expecting the reliability i had with my 328i but just dont want to be wrenching every weekend

1 - 11 of 11 Posts