BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the ignition key is in the run position and the engine is not running, a low level high frequency squeal is heard from the engine compartment. Although the exact location is difficult to pinpoint , it appears to emanate from the throttle body. The squeal is fairly constant but modulates a bit. I doubt that this is normal & I'm afraid that if and when the squeal stops, something may have failed, so I would like to find the source of the problem before that happens.

I don't know that this is connected but I just completed a valve cover gasket replacement to eliminate oil leaks. The car ran fine before the replacement but now idles extremely rough and will stall if gas is not periodically applied. I have not and will not attempt to drive the car until I resolve this issue. Code reader indicates fuel injection problems with most of the cylinders. I suspect that some of the connectors did not fully engage when I re-installed the plastic wiring harness enclosure that is located above each valve cover and had to be displaced to make room for the removal of the valve covers. I don't know that this has anything to do with the squeal -but it may.

·
Registered
15,749 Posts
Might be the throttle body actuator.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts