BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my less than two week old 2011 550 from the service department to replace a "high pressure fuel pump". Last week I tried to ignite the car and it just sputtered and died. Had to wait a few minutes, try it a few more times, before it fired up. Kinda frustrating. Anybody else experience this problem with their new 5 series?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Just picked up my less than two week old 2011 550 from the service department to replace a "high pressure fuel pump". Last week I tried to ignite the car and it just sputtered and died. Had to wait a few minutes, try it a few more times, before it fired up. Kinda frustrating. Anybody else experience this problem with their new 5 series?
seems like a coincidence or worse that this is literally the 1st and 2nd posting on fuel pumps i have read on the F10...

i have not had this problem

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
On n63 engine it's an extremely rare event. Try to use Shell 93 and not idle too much. I think in talking to the shop foreman and reading all those boards, it's only the second incident that I know of in 3 years that this engine has been around

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Starting next MY, they're putting DI 4 TT instead of i6; noone will be safe then!
Twin turbo? Or just single.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had one occurrence of "sputtering and dying" on my 550iX and several weeks later a check engine light came on. Dealer says it was fuel pump and replaced it and waiting to get car back. Not sure if coincidence or something more.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Starting next MY, they're putting DI 4 TT instead of i6; noone will be safe then!
It's actually a single turbo twin scroll, DI, Valvetronic inline 4 that is very mechanically similar to the N55. 245 horsepower and 258 lb of torque. Rumor is that they will add electronic sound generator to mimic the aural sensation of the inline 6, that we all know so well and love.
However, BMW has confirmed they're working on Twinpower 3 cyl engine as well to use in Mini's and 1/2 series in the future. BMW seems to be betting the farm on small displacement boosted engines.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I had one occurrence of "sputtering and dying" on my 550iX and several weeks later a check engine light came on. Dealer says it was fuel pump and replaced it and waiting to get car back. Not sure if coincidence or something more.
Hmm. Nothing in 3 years, and now 2 at once. Do you mind telling what kind of fuel you've been using?
Also, I think N63 has 2 HPFPs.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.