BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
G30 F23
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled onto this while researching tire pressures in the owner's manual. The table lists separate sets of pressures for "without high speed tuning feature" and "with high-speed tuning feature".

Is anyone familiar with this feature? (And how can I get it!):p

·
Registered
G30 F23
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2018 530e manual refers to pressure for driving speeds up to 100 mph and a separate table for speeds in excess of 100 mph. No reference to tuning.
Right. The manuals for both of my cars have separate pressure values for over and under 100mph too. But the 530e manual also includes an additional set of tire inflation pressure values over 100 mph/160 km/h specifically for the 530e and 530e xDrive with and without "high speed tuning".

I now see that "Missile" posted the same question on the 7 series board several years ago but received no replies.

But now as I look at the third set of pressures more closely, I see that all of them are for staggered wheel set ups. Could it be that "high speed tuning" here refers to suspension tuning rather than engine output?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Right. The manuals for both of my cars have separate pressure values for over and under 100mph too. But the 530e manual also includes an additional set of tire inflation pressure values over 100 mph/160 km/h specifically for the 530e and 530e xDrive with and without "high speed tuning".

I now see that "Missile" posted the same question on the 7 series board several years ago but received no replies.

But now as I look at the third set of pressures more closely, I see that all of them are for staggered wheel set ups. Could it be that "high speed tuning" here refers to suspension tuning rather than engine output?
Where in the manual do you see the reference to "high speed tuning"? I don't see it in my manual for a 2018 530e.

·
Registered
G30 F23
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where in the manual do you see the reference to "high speed tuning"? I don't see it in my manual for a 2018 530e.
The additional "high speed tuning" table begins on p306 of my 386 page online manual. Immediately following the 100+ mph table.

·
Registered
G30 F23
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The additional "high speed tuning" table begins on p306 of my 386 page online manual. Immediately following the 100+ mph table.
I'm thinking that "high speed tuning" refers to the sport suspension option.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I'm thinking that "high speed tuning" refers to the sport suspension option.
On the 530e the adaptive options are only for the suspension and brakes, not the four wheel steering.

I don't even see page numbers on the online manual for my car. But my car is a 2018 and I note that Dr. Hoo's car is a 2020 so that might account for the difference.

In either event, if one tunes the car and there is an incident with the ICE, BMW will likely try to void the warranty.

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2021 230i also references the "high speed tuning feature". I have asked the dealer to clarify, but wonder if it pertains to the electronic speed governor being set to 155 mph for the performance tire setup vs. 130 mph for the all seasons. It would make sense that a driving speed of 55 mph over the 100 mph baseline would require tire pressures to accommodate increased running speeds and centrifugal forces that might not be required for speeds 30 mph over. The 100 mph + setting for my car is 33/39 without the feature but 38/45 with the feature.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
920 Posts
My 2021 230i also references the "high speed tuning feature". I have asked the dealer to clarify, but wonder if it pertains to the electronic speed governor being set to 155 mph for the performance tire setup vs. 130 mph for the all seasons. It would make sense that a driving speed of 55 mph over the 100 mph baseline would require tire pressures to accommodate increased running speeds and centrifugal forces that might not be required for speeds 30 mph over. The 100 mph + setting for my car is 33/39 without the feature but 38/45 with the feature.
This is it. When I ordered my 530e you got this feature if you ordered 19” or larger wheels. I ordered 18” so I lack it. I imagine it is standard now since 18” is not offered.

Reactions: Dr Hoo

·
Registered
G30 F23
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is it. When I ordered my 530e you got this feature if you ordered 19” or larger wheels. I ordered 18” so I lack it. I imagine it is standard now since 18” is not offered.
Thanks, worldtraveler and LA. I think we have this figured out.

After taking a closer look at the "high speed tuning feature" table, I noticed that all of the inflation specs were for staggered set-ups only. My guess is that cars optioned with the sports suspension package come from Dingolfing with staggered tires. Does this make sense?

My M Sport came with standard suspension and a square tire set-up mounted on 19" wheels.

So, I will be sure to inflate all 4 tires to 41/48 the next time I plan to blow past the century mark on my speedo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts