BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, my name is Peter. I got used z4 (2006 3.0Si) a month ago and i am trying to upgrade for hid ballast. Car was originally with halogen bulbs. Problem is that whenever i will install new ballast 55W low beam (already reaplaced four of them) it wil stay probably about month and then it will stop working. I was checking voltage on wiring and it says 25 Volts and that is the reason probably why it killes the ballasts (they are made for 9-16 Volts input). What can i do with that?????
P.S.: I have two of warning canceler on each side plus capacitor..

Any ideas please???
Thank you!!!

· Registered
13,189 Posts
If the place where you saw 25V was on one of the capacitors, that's because the voltage rating for them should be approximately twice the operating voltage which is 12 volts. As wifesauto stated, there's no 25 volt source in your car.
How are the ballasts mounted? Some ballasts have a metal base with a mounting tab to secure them to the body of the car. This is for heat dissipation. If you have this type ballast and you've just left them hanging in the air they will die quickly due to overheating.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for yours response, i will take a picture of voltmeter when is connected. I measured the volts on original wiring of the car. There is everything original. I was also testint voltmeter on house plug and it is showing aroun 118V which i asumed as a correct value. You will see later on pictures.

· Registered
986 Posts
I take it these are cheap Chinese ballasts. The stock ballasts are 35w and you say you're using 55w. 55w is much hotter and you may end up permanently damaging your headlights. Try a quality 35w kit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.