BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 535 xi (July 2008 build with 19,xxx miles) just killed its first HPFP. From what I can tell this problem is quite common with any N54 powered car and it seems that this problem not only happens in the U.S.

I was wondering, does the new Twin Turbo V8 also suffer from that ailment? I have not heard anything but I am curious.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
The same with the 335s and the 135s.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
The problem is not a common problem, but it is more common in the US than in other parts of the world.

From even the very unscientific "polls" held on the Interwebs, approximately 25% of Interwebians who bothered to respond have been affected. Therefore, in a most unscientific extrapolation and applying some seat of the pants discounting, I am guessing that the general population fail rate is somewhere less than 20%, in the US.

Here is Canada this issue is much less prevalent. Pump failures, whether HPFP or not, have also occured with less frequency in other parts of the world. So have , even less frequently, injector failure.

I have read instances where the twin turbo V8 pumps have also failed on 7s.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For the record I completely agree with you, but still that would not make it a common problem, where 75 - 80% of customers don't have this issue:rolleyes:;):thumbup:

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
This remains mostly a US problem. I'm on two German forums and there are very few complaints from N54 engine owners regarding the fuel pump.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
What? There are SOME fuel pump failures in Germany?
I remember seeing perhaps 2 cases regarding the fuel pump in the 335i. More often but still rare, the direct injection in the N53 (not sold here) causes minor problems.

·
energetik9
2,361 Posts
Can you define "common problem" ? :)
This is really the question. I have heard the number (according to BMW) is as low at 4-5%. Posts on the forum would have you believe the problem is common and even as much as 75%. Somewhere in the middle is the truth and this forum is NOT the place to get accurate numbers.

·
karate monkey
147 Posts
...but they need to get this matter resolved as it's hurting sales, resale value and customer relations...
Despite the (reasonable) frustrations posted to these boards, IMO nobody is more aware of this than BMW.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Despite the (reasonable) frustrations posted to these boards, IMO nobody is more aware of this than BMW.
Seeing that people have had issues with their HPFP on Interstate highways and such and have nearly experienced crashes, BMW needs to have a higher sense of urgency to make sure this problem is solved. One fatality because of the HPFP issue and BMW will wish they would've solved this issue sooner rather than later, I guarantee it.:tsk:

·
energetik9
2,361 Posts
4-5% is a BIG problem for a car mfg. While the reports on Bimmerfest may not be a statitically accurate representation of the problem, it's still totally unacceptable to have this issue for three model years and counting. Despite all the speculation as to the cause, I suspect the true cause is more complex than people realize or it would have been resolved long ago.

VW/Audi had problems with the HPFP drives the first few years so BMW is not the only one to experience issues with the HPFP used for direct injection, but they need to get this matter resolved as it's hurting sales, resale value and customer relations even though they do the best they can to mitigate the hassles.
That's fine, but you're making an assumption that BMW is not doing anything about it. 4% is what, around 5000 cars? Statistically speaking, that's a pretty small sample. You may argue they're losing sales, but BMW's market share increased significantly in the US in 2008. Granted 2009 is skewed, but so is everyone's sales.

·
energetik9
2,361 Posts
I'm not making any particular assumptions. I'm certain BMW is working their tail off trying to identify the cause and a suitable solution but having this issue for three model years is simply unacceptable to BMW and it's customers.

BMW's sales worldwide are down like 40% while Audi and others have had better results, but that's not relevant to the HPFP discussion per se.

I'm not knocking BMW at all. I just want to see them fix this problem A.S.A.P. so that I can buy a 335ix... ;)
Fair enough and I do wish they'd get it fixed. I know they have tried a different manufacturer, but I don't have enough info to know if it worked or not. If it matters at all, you know the HPFP is warrantied for like 10 years or something.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
They switched from Siemens to Bosch a couple years ago but the problem continues right into the '10 models... I'm sure it is a complicated issue or it would have been fixed long ago. First you need to determine the cause before you can fix the problem. The extended warranty is fine but it doesn't help those who get stranded or compensate owners for the inconvenience.
BMW engineering or QA dep't may have isolated a fault in the assembly or material of the Siemens pump and desparately switched suppliers. Unfortunately the real problem may be in the design specifications and it won't matter who makes the pump because they will all make the pump to the blueprint. Until the blueprints change the pump won't change. The pump is going to have to change because we're not going to change gas formulations or driving habits any time soon.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
Your comments are accurate IF the problem is the fuel or driving habits but we don't know if either is the real issue. I believe if there were an obvious cause for the HPFP failures it would have been determined by now. My guess and it's only speculation like everyone elses' is that the problem is more complex than we may understand at this time. As you know, until you understand the true cause you can't fix the problem.
Agreed, and that may be part or all of the reason for a delay in the 'fix'. It's possible BMW identified what they thought was the fault but it turned out not to be. I've sure 'been there' before. You isolate what appears to be the cause, eliminate it, and the same thing happens again. Usually turns out that there is more than one failure cause.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts