BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any highways in particular that would have a high chance of closing during late November or the winter seasons? Now that i am seeing threads on late Nov pickup and people concerning about the weather, i am just worrying if there's any problem driving from Munich to Stuttgart if snows and how bad things could be...any advice?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm comfortable w snow covered roads and have seen no indication of road closures except on a few passes.

We're planning to take our X3 w all season tires on RT 803 from Lindau to Fussen in late November, then on to Mittenwald and Salzsburg.

Willing to listen to reason. <g>

Dave

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i have driven in heavy snow before in vancouver in a ford escape but driving a brand new 335i with summer tire is a different story...also being unfamiliar with germany and the roads there just made me wanting to ask the question and be prepared thats all..

·
Freude am Fahren
19,696 Posts
well, i have driven in heavy snow before in vancouver in a ford escape but driving a brand new 335i with summer tire is a different story...also being unfamiliar with germany and the roads there just made me wanting to ask the question and be prepared thats all..
You are right to be cautious. It would be foolhardy and illegal to drive a car with summer tires in wintry weather. If the temperatures are simply cold (typical late Nov temperatures could be around 7°), your tires will have NO adhesion and if you end up in an accident with summer tires fitted, you may find yourself without any insurance coverage.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Teh past few winters have been fairly mild, and only freak storms have caused trouble on the Autobahn. November is still early winter, and the real stuff generally doesn't hit until January. Alpine passes can be subject to closure throughout the winter months.

Seems to me there should be a winter tyre loaner programme in effect. BMW could fit cas with winter tyres for the duration of the ED tour and then fit the proper tyres when the cars are shipped,

·
Freude am Fahren
19,696 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
jspira --- low temp but no snow...?

Hi Jspira,

I've seen you mention the 'low temp but no snow' warning a couple times. Do you have any additional information about this? It seems pretty unlikely that a road w/ no snow/ice on it, would give such a problem to summer tires, just because it is approaching 32 degrees F.

I would guess that there is a real phenomenon here and that some traction is lost based on temp, but my guess is that it is negligable and difficult to ever even detect. If it were a real problem, you would think that there would be accidents everywhere because of this. I've had Z rated summer tires on RWD mustangs (I live in New Hampshire where it gets very cold), and never had a problem w/ traction as winter approaches, but of course I would never dare try it w/ snow on the ground.

What is so different about the tread/compound that makes that tire lose traction on cold asphalt as opposed to all-season/winter tires?

I'm not an expert on this, so I'm open to learning something here.... I'm just skeptical.

Thanks!

·
Freude am Fahren
19,696 Posts
Hi Jspira,

I've seen you mention the 'low temp but no snow' warning a couple times. Do you have any additional information about this? It seems pretty unlikely that a road w/ no snow/ice on it, would give such a problem to summer tires, just because it is approaching 32 degrees F.

I would guess that there is a real phenomenon here and that some traction is lost based on temp, but my guess is that it is negligable and difficult to ever even detect. If it were a real problem, you would think that there would be accidents everywhere because of this. I've had Z rated summer tires on RWD mustangs (I live in New Hampshire where it gets very cold), and never had a problem w/ traction as winter approaches, but of course I would never dare try it w/ snow on the ground.

What is so different about the tread/compound that makes that tire lose traction on cold asphalt as opposed to all-season/winter tires?

I'm not an expert on this, so I'm open to learning something here.... I'm just skeptical.

Thanks!
The compounds are very different. Just look at the name - "summer" tires. I can tell you from first hand experience when the weather turns cold and I haven't changed tires yet you can feel the difference (lack of adhesion, compound designed for warm weather).

Here's something I didn't know which I found on conti's Web site:

Anyone driving summer tires through the winter has to accept that his mileage performance will be up to 20% lower. This is revealed by a new study carried out by Continental, Europe's market leader for winter tires. The substantially higher wear is caused by the compound in summer tires freezing at temperatures below 7 degrees. The subsequent higher mechanical stress and material fatigue means a considerably lower mileage performance on summer tires driven through the winter. Motorists who switch to winter tires in good time not only invest in their own safety, but also lighten the load on their wallet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I live in the Midwest and we sure have winter conditions here. My 545i drives fairly similar with summer tires as with all season. I hoped that all season tires would make big difference, but they did not. The real difference comes with winter tires and/or maybe all season with AWD. Summer tires just feel hard in cold weather.

All that said, I am also picking up my 335cic late November. We'll see. If it's too risky we'll drop off the car and rent one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in the Midwest and we sure have winter conditions here. My 545i drives fairly similar with summer tires as with all season. I hoped that all season tires would make big difference, but they did not. The real difference comes with winter tires and/or maybe all season with AWD. Summer tires just feel hard in cold weather.

All that said, I am also picking up my 335cic late November. We'll see. If it's too risky we'll drop off the car and rent one.
I concur..i may just rent a car for a day and head up to Stuttgart if the weather is not co-operating since i will be there in mid-nov..let's pray and hope global warming kicks in temporary for us late EDers..:angel:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts